Resolute: Promise of Eternity

Present time ;
Melancholia playground ;

“I canʼt believe it. Were mama and papa really that cool?” Shin laughed as the boy muttered in disbelief, as if he fully understood the whole story.

“Maybe.” she tapped Nakaruʼs nose with a teasing smile. “Who knows, I might have never told you the whole truth.”

The little bluenet pouted at the remark. Of course, Shin understood the frustration, but because he was still a child, he should only see things in his point of view and not try to delve deeper in things he could not yet understand.

She knew telling him things would invite consequences in the future, but she knew how to play her cards right. Nakaru was an exceptional child, it wonʼt be long until heʼll learn the ropes. But, for now, sheʼll let him enjoy his childhood.

“Fine. Maybe Iʼll ask them someday.” The brunette ruffled Nakaruʼs hair at the response.

“Shin onee-chan!” a boy about Nakaruʼs age or a year older exclaimed rather excitedly, his apricot hair and midnight eyes shining he ran to the two under the glimmering sun.

“Oh, great timing!” Shin clasped her hands together, pleased. “Nakaru, Iʼd like you to meet one of your aunts and unclesʼ son. Get to know each other for the time being, ne?”

The newcomer 'examined' Nakaru from head to toe as if trying to see if the bluenet was worthy of an introduction, like a child born from an aristocratic background would do before smiling once again— an action which made the usually behaved Nakaru raise his brow at.

“Hello there! I am Alistair Lemercier-Ifrikia. I am widely known as Alistair, but Shin onee-chan calls me Alice, so you could call me that too. I am pleased to meet your acquaintance.”

'He bowed. I mean, 'pleased to meet your acquaintance' and bowing in a princely manner, who would do that?' Nakaru thought to himself, but shrugged.

“Nice to meet you too, Alice. Iʼm Akabane Nakaru, but I prefer being called Naru.”

Shin noticed a flicker of sadness in the childʼs eyes, and it seemed that Alistair saw it too.

“You seem sad, Naru. Why is that?” asked young Alistair.

The bluenette smiled sadly as he shook his head. “Itʼs nothing. Meeting you just reminded me of my best friend, Hiro. Papa told me they were leaving because of auntieʼs last wish.”

Alistair nodded in sympathy, but then pulled Nakaru and Shin into a hug, smiling brightly. “Then Iʼll be your new best friend! Thatʼs alright, right Shin onee-chan?”

“I think itʼs all up to Naru, Alice.”

“Eh~ You wonʼt let me be your new friend, Naru?”

The adult sweatdropped at his persistence. Just then, her attention was caught by a small figure obviously standing out as it hid behind the only tree outside the fences due to its scarlet hair. Shin saw it peek towards them, but immediately hid its face again when her golden eyes meet with its azure blue ones.

“Well who do we have here? Alice, Naru,” she called out to which the boy heeded.

“Yes, onee-sama/ What is it, Shin onee-chan?”

“Would you care to find out whoʼs been watching us behind that tree?”

—・—