Chapter 1 - Welcome to Morganville

Morganville is a simple town, small and secluded in the middle of nowhere in Texas. Not too many people live there, but when the night falls not a single one of them is outside, no doubt about it. The doors are slammed shut and locked, the windows closed, curtains drawn. The town becomes desolate, abandoned, empty. When the moon shines high in the sky a small section of the town buzzes with life, people thrive there, indulging in delicious delicacies, dazzlingly dancing in the darkened night. Their pale skin reflecting the moon as they move with effortless grace, smiling kind smiles full of teeth and fangs. The town is full of bloodthirsty vampires that lurk around in the night. Most of the University students are blind to the fact vampires live at their doorstep, so, as not to corrupt the students, the vampires do not enter University property, sometimes ignorance truly is bliss. A young girl of maybe 17 was walking out of the university one afternoon, her long blonde hair swishing behind her as she strolled out of the gates. The girl looked up and took in all of her surroundings, her blue eyes troubled by the calm of the streets. She hugged her scarf closer to her slim body and walked a little quicker. The girl, Claire, wore a pair of black skinny jeans, a red jumper, a matching red hat and scarf, a thick white coat and some red converse. She walked through the town, expertly avoiding the dark allies, as she neared a coffee shop, "Common Grounds", she walked inside and greeted her goth roommate, the barista, with a kind smile and a hug.

"Hey Claire, where are you off to later? Do you have to go to Mc.Crazy's lair today?" Asked the goth, wiggling her fingers,

"Yeah, ill be at the lab until 10 tonight so save me some dinner, he's got me working on some complicated stuff so hopefully as soon as its over ill get a little break from the lab, Shane's getting really upset about it" Claire replied, Shane was her boyfriend, and he didn't like Claire spending so much time at her job at the lab, he hated Claire's boss for two reasons, one, he was a vampire, two, he was convinced that her boss wanted to be with Claire.

"Yeah, ive seen how mad he gets when you say you have to work late, he really hates Dr.Looney, but hey its good money and you like the job and you like Fangface so its all good by me" Eve giggled

Claire sighed dramaticly,

"Got anymore names for Myrnin?" She asked with an eyeroll

A man wearing a tie-dye shirt came out with a disgusted look plastered across his face,

"That name will not be said in my shop, especially after what the psycho did to me last night, he dared to come into my home and take my vodka, ALL of it, I had over 100 bottles and the idiot took it all. Oh Claire, I shouldn't worry about heading to the mongrels cave today" Oliver butted in with a smirk. Oliver was Eves boss, he was the owner of common grounds and another vampire. He and Claire's boss, Myrnin, did not have a very good history though neither of them have ever explained why they hate each other so much.

"He's not a mongrel Oliver, and why wouldn't I go to work?" Claire asked suspiciously.

"I'm not so sure there is any of his little lab left after my.... visit this morning" Oliver laughed vindictively. Sighing once again Claire stood up, grabbed her coffee and paid Eve then left after scowling at big bad Oliver and hugging Eve. She continued walking past the many houses until she came across the big houses near the back of the town, Lot Street, she finally reached the Glass House and unlocked the door and walked.

"I'm home!" She called into the seemingly empty house. A cool breeze swept behind her and she turned to be face to face with Michael, the houses resident vampire. Michael was a ghost in the house for many years before turning and becoming a vampire. He gave her one of his brilliant smiles and aksed her how school went. After a short converstaion about how easy Claire found all of her classes, Michael informed her that Shane was upstairs in his room.

"But he didn't reply when I called up to say I was home? He always comes down to see me when I get home to see how school went and so I can get a hug, why would he ignore me?" Claire said looking upset.

"If I had to guess, I think he's jealous that your off to Myrnin's again today until late, you know how he is about Myrnin, CB" Michael said appologetically, Claire sighed and nodded her head.

She knew he was right, Shane was always rude to her whenever she had to work late, he ignored her, shouted at her and blamed her for it, acting like she could just choose to not go to work. Claire signed a contract with the most powerful vampire in Morganville, the founder Amelie, and agreed to give her body and soul to Amelie in order for Amelie's protection over her and her freinds. So now, when Amelie wanted Claire to do somthing, she had to do it otherwise the contract would become void and she and all her friends were free food for the vamps. A human in Morganville could choose to have a protecter, a vampire that would ensure your safety in exchange for two pints of blood each month at the blood bank. Oliver was a protecter, as was many vampires, but not all of them. A protected human was able to be seen by a bracelet that they wear, it has the symbol of the vampire protector on it and is made out of whatever the protector chooses. Amelie's bracelet is a delicate silver chain with her symbol gracefully engraved into the front, a beautiful bracelet that stands out far more than any other protectors one. Certain vampires didn't want to be protectors, Myrnin was not a protector, if he wanted to be he could but he chose not to.

Claire decided to saunter up to see her moody boyfriend and try and explain how if she could then she would stay home with him but it wasn't up to her and blah blah blah. She had told him this hundreds of times but he never listened. She was getting so sick of him treating her like this, she had been for months but she always tried to see his side of it, which although stupid she made herself try and understand it. She walked up to his door, drew in a deep breath and let it go, she knocked lightly and pushed it open to be greeted with an angry face and a grunt.

"Till 10, again? Really?" He said, glaring at her. He stood a whole foot above her and was built very well, he was basically twice Claire's size, yet he was pouting like a child with his arms crossed and a scowl on his face.

"Its my job Shane," she began "I have to, I wish I could stay home with you and cuddle but I have to, Amelie's orders, I love you"

"Oh whatever just go, get out, I'm sure you just can't wait to go and see him can you?" He seethed out through gritted teeth. Claire was fuming, how dare he sit here and practically accuse her of cheating because she was going to work! He did this all the time, she was tired of it.

"Shane your being ridiculous! This isn't fair! I have to go, its my fucking job. Get over it, your being pathetic! I've had enough of this! I'm going to work, bye" She stormed out of his room without another word and slammed the door in his face. She took off down the stairs and ran straight into Michael who had obviously heard the entire thing, ya know, vampire hearing and all. He gave her a smile,

"I'm glad your sticking up for yourself, have fun at work" He said giving her a quick hug. Claire smiled at him, picked up her backpack with some books and a couple of silver stakes, for just incase, and left, begining her short walk to Myrnin's lab.

A/N Heya unicorns! I havent wrote anything in like literally months so I hope you liked this first chapter. Have an awesome Christmas, I love you all! ~Izy  <3

Words ~ 1425