Part VI: Darth Vader Volume II

Chapter I

"It's called Vrogas Vas. A barren world with no known native life forms, though more than its share of gaseous surface emissions. Sounds like our target found himself a lovely little place to hide." It was Aphra on the comm, doing her usual talkative monologue.

At least it was useful information. Information Luna had already found and briefed him on, but better than trying to dig into his thoughts and past nonetheless.

"The boy cannot hide from his destiny," Vader responded. "Or me. What word of Commander Karbin?"

"Well, we know our favorite Mon Calamari cyborg was assigned by the Emperor to find the pilot who blew up the Death Star," Aphra began, finally getting to a topic that was far more useful. Luna had been doing her best to look into it when Vader had first left for hyperspace. "But we have no reason to believe he's come anywhere close to identifying Skywalker."

"Despite this," Luna's mask modified voice said, entering the conversation, "I fear he has a lead. They are tracking something or someone, and seem to believe it will lead them straight to the boy's location. I'm working on trying to disrupt the signal, but I'm afraid it will be impossible to do so from a distance."

"Is it heading the right direction?" Vader questioned.

"Yes, Master. It's getting rather close as well. If they're right then there'll only be a couple of hours at most between now and an Imperial crack down."

"Then he will be dealt with once we have the boy."

"The kid's on Vrogas Vas all right. The information broker was quite certain of it. Said he'd bet his life on it," Aphra supplied.

"The broker no longer has a life with which to wager," Vader commented.

"Then I guess I'm betting my life on it. You'll find your Rebel there, Lord Vader."

"I had better, Doctor Aphra. Coming out of hyperspace now." With that, lightspeed reverted to realspace, revealing several issues he hadn't been expecting so soon in the game.

"Master, we have a problem," Luna said.

....Unusually perceptive of her. "They were on maneuvers. They weren't expecting me."

"What? Who wasn't expecting you?" Aphra asked.

"The three squadrons of Rebel Starfighters I see before me," Vader responded dryly.

"....Not the problem I was referring to, Master," Luna's voice said, now having a slight tinge of panic. "Karbin was tracking you."

"If this was a trap, Aphra, you had better hope it kills me."

"A trap? Vader, I-kzzrrt-never.... I wouldn't cross-kzzzt! I may love danger-zzkr-I've never been-rrrzt-on suicide. But three-zzztttrrr! That's dozens of fighters. You've got-kkkrrrz-outta there!" Aphra yelled, the comm flicking in and out as it struggled to keep in contact.

"You're information is correct. Skywalker is here. I can sense him."

"Master-kkrrrrt-was tracking you. If-kzzzrrt-stay, the-zzzttr-aren't going to be the-zzzkkkrr-in trouble," Luna stated, already knowing what he was thinking. She wasn't wrong. If Vader didn't get out of there soon, then there would be Imperials to worry about as well.

But they already knew he had emerged from hyperspace and this wasn't a key jump point. Even if he left the system and reappeared somewhere else, Karbin already knew it wouldn't be right. At the very least a detachment would be sent and then the base would be discovered.