07.20.00

Jedi slows the Humvee to a stop and pulls up next to Matt's bike. They stare out at the Japanese container five hundred yards away.

"Anything?" Matt calls up to Jim in the gun turret.

"All quiet as far as I can see," Jim replies.

Sophia and Cutter step out of the Humvee's rear door. They join Matt and Jedi.

"How's it looking?" Sophia asks.

"Nothing doing," Matt tells her. "Maybe I should go take a closer look?"

"No way. The Humvee goes in first. You cover in behind. Least if someone comes out blasting we've all got some protection." Sophia turns to Jedi. "Take us in—steady." She yells up to Jim. "You still okay up there?"

Jim strokes the M2. "We're all good."

"Okay, then," Sophia says. "Everyone keep alert. Cutter?"

"Yep?"

"You with Jim. I'll ride up front with Jedi."

The Americans take up their positions. Matt tucks in behind the truck. Cutter joins Jim and they train their guns toward the green container.

Sophia hops into the Humvee's passenger seat. She nods a let's go towards Jedi and he starts the Humvee, then steers it toward the container.

"My mouth's kind of dry," Jedi says.

"Here." Sophia offers him some water.

Jedi shakes his head. "Can't swallow."

"Wet your lips, then."

Jedi takes the water bottle and tips it over his head. The liquid cascades over his hair and down his face. He shakes his head and the water sprays off him.

"Better?"

"Yeah, but . . ."

"But what?" Sophia asks.

"Theoretically, I'm just not too wild about dying."

"So don't die then."

"I'll try not to." Jedi passes the water bottle back to her.

"I'll try not to let you—deal?"

"Deal—hey?"

"Yeah?"

Jedi licks his lips. "I can swallow now."

"You'll be fine, Jedi."

Lloyd shouts from the rear of the container, "What's happening out there?"

"For Christ's sake, Lloyd, keep it down," Sophia says. "Looks like it's deserted. We're close—nearly there."

"I figured. So let the kid get the code, and then we get the hell out of here."

"We're working on it, okay? Just settle down back there."

"You wanna try settling down sitting back here in this metal oven? I feel like a fucking cooked turkey at Thanksgiving."

"Lloyd?"

"What?"

"SHHHHHHHHHH!"

Sophia rolls her eyes at Jedi. He shrugs then pulls up the Humvee fifty yards out from the container. The Americans strain their senses. The container appears to be unmanned and its doors are all open. The Japanese flag on its side stands out clearly.

"Jedi?" Sophia whispers.

"Yeah?"

"Drive around the container. I want to look inside." Sophia winds down her window and aims her pistol at the container.