Chapter 14

I take the bus home, pressing my forehead against the cool glass, watching everything pass by in a blur of grey drizzle. Even the brightest colors seem subdued.

When I get home, I'm planning on just washing the stupid syrup out of my hair and not leaving my room, but my mom stops me on the way upstairs with one of her warm smiles. "You look upset," she says, her brow creasing slightly.

"I'm fine," I lie.

"Ok, if you don't want to talk about it, that's fine. I just wanted to tell you that Lizbeth wants you to come to her garden party tomorrow. Do you have anything to wear?"

"Wait..." I say. "What are you even talking about?"

"Lizbeth's hosting a small gathering tomorrow and she said she'd love it if you came. We don't have to tell anyone that we're living with the Turners, obviously. We can just say that we're family friends."

"I mean, I guess..." I think for a second. "Yeah, I guess that's fine. But I don't have anything to wear!"

My mom doesn't say anything, just smiles mysteriously and leads me to my room. Where, lying on my bed, is the most incredibly gorgeous dress I've ever seen.

"Mom!" I shriek, running over to where the dress is and picking it up. It's the most perfect thing I've ever seen. "Is this for me? I can't believe it! How did you even afford to buy me this?"

My mother just smiles serenely and shrugs. "We've been saving a lot of money not having to pay for living expenses here. And I just thought you deserved something nice. Do you like it? You should try it on!"

"Do I like it? Mom, it's gorgeous!" I say, throwing off my shirt and slipping the fabric over my head. I turn towards my mirror and I'm honestly... shocked by what I see. The dress is dark blue with a tight bodice and a silky, mid-thigh length skirt that makes me want to twirl around like a princess. It has sleeves that just go over my shoulder and a low scoop neck that I would not have imagined my mother ever buying. But it's not the dress itself that makes it hard to breathe. It's the way it makes me stand taller and with my shoulders back, the way the dark blue makes my skin look almost... glowing, my hair like fire. I look older. More confident.

"Oh my god, thank you so much, Mom!" I say, practically jumping into her arms.

"You look so beautiful, Sienna. You remind me of your father more and more every day."

By the time I successfully wash the maple syrup out of my hair, it's practically time for the party already. When I go downstairs in sweatpants and an ancient t-shirt, my hair soaked, I'm surprised to find that there are already throngs of people setting tables up, making food, assembling chairs. And... Lizbeth and Jase are arguing. They both look up when I come in, going silent.

"Hey, Sienna!" Lizbeth finally says. "Are you excited for the party?"
Jase holds a hand up. "Wait. You can't actually be serious. She's coming?"

"Jase!" Lizbeth glares at him. "She lives here. Of course she's coming." She looks back at me. "Oh, Sienna, please sit down." She moves over on the couch for me. "Please ignore Jason. He's just angry that I'm forcing him to go to this party. It's nothing personal, I promise."

Jase scoffs. "I appreciate the cover-up, Mom, but actually, this is personal. Some of my friends will be there. What will they think when they find out that she's living with us?"

Lizbeth rolls her eyes, her jaw tensed. Hmm. I guess that's where Jase gets it from. "Who said we were going to tell anyone they were living with us? If anyone asks, we're all family friends-"

"That's even worse!" Jase says in disgust. "I don't know who in their right mind would be friends with her-"

"Jase, that is quite enough," Lizbeth says. "She's going, you're going, and that's final. Now go get dressed. I'll see you at the party."