Chapter 26

Jase

When Evan and I get back upstairs, Sienna's completely passed out, and so I tell Evan to leave. Before he does, though, my stepbrother hands me a silver cell phone with a screen so cracked, it's a wonder anyone can even see through it, and a clear case plastered with fruit and turtle stickers. Sienna's phone.

"I'm so sorry," Ev says, his voice shameful and filled with regret as he looks down at the ground. "I just... thought we were playing a game." He looks back up hesitantly, as if he's afraid of what I'm going to do, like I'm going to lash out and scream at him right here.

Jesus christ. When did I turn into my stepfather?

"It's okay," I tell him, swallowing the guilty feeling in the back of my throat. "You didn't mean anything. Just try to be a little more careful with your games in the future, okay? But, honestly, it's mostly my fault, not yours. I'm the one who hit her with a door, after all."

Once Evan leaves, I turn back to Sienna, lifting up her head to place the ice pack underneath it. Her thick eyelids flutter for a second before closing again, and my heart stops thinking she's woken up, but apparently not. Thank gosh. I don't need another round of the ridiculous disaster that just happened.

The worst part? When she asked to kiss me, I was a split second away from saying yes. Before I woke myself up from whatever insane delusion I've been under that she'd ever want to actually kiss me as anything other than a passing desire while barely conscious and entirely concussed. Certainly not the magical, perfect moment I've thought about for our first kiss

If there is a first kiss. Which there most likely won't be.

I need to just face it. I'll never be good enough for her.

Though I'm sure as hell trying.

Breaking my eyes away from Sienna, I sit down on the floor, resting my head against the sofa cushions. As I move my leg, the cell phone that is balanced oh-so-precariously on my knee falls off, and as I pick it up, inspecting the screen for any new cracks, the phone springs to life, displaying Sienna's screensaver- and a text message that immediately catches my attention:

Mayah- Ethan told me to invite u to this party tnight

I told him there's no way u'd wanna do something where ur perfect reputation could get tarnished

Lmk if u decide to come slum it with us tho after all

Wait a second- what the actual hell? I thought Mayah was Sienna's best friend but this... doesn't exactly seem very best-friend-like. Or at least not the kind of best friend that Sienna deserves.

My fingers type out the words faster than I can think of them, words I know Sienna would never, in a million years, actually say.

Get a hobby and stop being an insecure three year old. No one wants to go to some stupid party with you

Obviously I'm not going to send the text. It just makes me so... pissed off that the girl who calls herself Sienna's best friend has been treating her like this?
Speaking of best friends though, when was the last time I even saw Sienna and Mayah together? Sienna's always wandering the hallways alone or with Noah... and Mayah's become a regular at the party-girls-from-chorus table at lunch.

But whatever. It still doesn't mean that I can just send her a text saying this, so I reach out my thumb to hit the delete button-

-and accidentally press send.

Jesus christ...

A/N: Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed this double update, I shall see you all next week with a chapter that (I hope) you'll enjoy. What do you think will happen next? Will Sienna find out about Jase's accidental text- and what will happen if she does? 

See you guys next week!

-Lemon Zest