Chapter 12

°Y/n's pov°

I woke up to a pale light beaming down on my face. I smiled lightly and sat up, taking in my surroundings. That smile quickly faded as I realized my reality. At this point, it didn't really faze me. I was numb to the feelings of loneliness and isolation, not that those things really mattered. I had bigger things to worry about.

Growl! (We know you're in there y/n!)

Growl. (We don't want to hurt you, but you need to come with us.)

I rolled my eyes and shuffled over to the window. Pulling back the curtains, I peeked out the clear glass to see two demogorgons approaching the side of the house.

"Great," I muttered. "Just what I needed."

I grabbed the stereo and a few tapes and made my way to the front of the house. Just as I was reaching for the door, I heard the sound of glass breaking. The windows. I ran to Jonathan's room and saw that one of the demogorgons was trying to crawl through.

"Oh, shit!" I whispered to myself.

Making myself invisible, I sprinted back to the front door and opened the door. I walked out onto the porch, closing the door behind me as I looked around to see if the other one was nearby. When I figured the coast was clear, I made a run for it and took off down the dirt path.

I was almost out of dodge when I was suddenly stopped in my tracks by... myself?

"Wh- what is this? Who are you?" I said making myself visible.

They had been posted at the end of the Byers' driveway as if they were waiting for me.

They looked at me, their head cocked to one side.

"I'm you, but from this world," they said plainly.

"That can't be... I- I haven't seen anyone, not one single person in this town!"

"That's because the big guy doesn't like us wandering around down here. He only uses us when we're needed. Like now."

"Needed? F- for what?"

"To capture you, of course," they smirked.

I couldn't believe this. I had an evil clone?

"Wait, us? You're saying there are more of you?"

"Every citizen in Hawkins."

I placed the stereo and tapes down beside me and walked closer to the person standing in front of me.

"Even Will?"

"Yes, even William Byers."

They uncrossed their arms and grabbed my wrist.

"You'll be coming with me."

"Wait a minute!" I said, jerking my arm away.

"Listen, there's no point in running away anymore. We've found you, now let's go."

"Fine, I have no reason to try and stop you anyways, but I have some more questions."

They rolled their eyes and sighed. I guess I really do that a lot, too.

"Okay, but hurry. The boss will be pissed if I don't get you back soon."

"Okay," I said. "What is this place, and why am I here?"

"This place," they gestured to the surrounding area, "we call the Upside Down."

The two demogorgons walked up behind us, growling lowly.

"I guess that makes sense," I shrugged. "So, what does your 'boss' want with me?"

"We need you. This place is falling apart, and you're the one who's gonna help us put it back together. As for your little boyfriend, he-"

"Hold up! Will is not my boyfriend, okay?!"

"Whatever," they rolled their eyes. "Anyways, Will was just a casualty. He was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time."

"Okay..." this was all too much, my brain was still trying to process it. "So, how exactly am I supposed to help you?"

"Your powers. You alone are powerful enough to create the energy needed to close the gate between your world and this one."

"But I didn't have these powers until I got here. How am I supposed to believe this wasn't all a set up?"

Just then the sky turned a deep red with another large swirl of clouds forming in the distance.

"Ugh! Listen, we can continue our little chit-chat later, but we need to get you to the Mind Flayer. Now!"

"So that's his name," I chuckled lightly as I picked up the stereo and tapes. "And what should I call you?"

They rolled their eyes playfully and smirked, grabbing my wrist again and pulling me along.

"Darling," they exhaled. "Just call me Seven."