Chapter 22

°Will's pov°

The rain grew heavy quickly. By the time we made it to Hawkins Lab, the sky was practically a few clouds away from being a storm.

"It looks different."

"Yeah, everything is down here."

Growl.

"Just great," I muttered.

A demogorgon was the last thing we needed to run into right now.

"What the f- Will w- what is that t- thing?" Troy asked with a panicked look on his face.

"Relax, they don't eat people... as far as I know."

"As far as you know?"

"Well they've never tried to eat me or y/n before."

I slowly walked closer to the monster towering above me like a skyscraper. It snarled again.

"Really?"

Growl.

"You know I can't understand you. But y/n can. Where are they? Please, tell us where y/n is."

It shrieked profusely and snatched me up in one swift move. I scream at the hideous monster, trying my best to escape its grasp.

"Let me go!"

It growled at me again, opening its face to bare its many rows of teeth. I turned my head to briefly glance at Troy, only to see he was no longer standing there; the rope which was once tied around his waist lying on the ground. Great! Just great!

"I said let me go!" I screamed, turning back to the demogorgon.

I squirmed in the creature's hands as it walked closer towards the building. It was only as the demogorgon walked through the gates and closer to the building, that I saw the entire front entrance was destroyed. Glass and piles of rubble were displayed everywhere with even a few uprooted trees.

Did y/n do all of this?

"Please..." I cried. "Please tell me where y/n is, I can't leave them down here."

I felt the tears threatening to spill and immediately blinked them away. I exhaled sharply when the creature tightened its grip on me. It opened its face again, letting out another fierce roar.

"Hey, shit face!" I heard Troy yell from behind us.

The monster spun around with a loud growl, still holding me in its hand.

"Let. Him. Go."

Growl.

"Let! Him! Go!" he yelled again, pulling a baseball bat from behind his back.

He charged at the thing, swinging hard and hitting it in the leg, causing it to kneel in pain. The demogorgon let out a painful shriek.

"Will, duck!"

I did as he said as he swung again, this time at the demogorgon's head. It fell to the ground, shrieking in pain again and let go me in the process. I scooted backwards until my back was up against a pile of rubble. Troy was still hitting the demogorgon, swearing and yelling at the monster. I stood up, staggering, with my heart pounding in my chest. Blow after blow, Troy kept the demogorgon down.

"Troy," he didn't hear me. "Troy!"

"What?" he stopped and looked at me.

"I'm pretty sure it's dead," I say nodding towards the monster.

He looked down at it and hit it with the bat once more before tossing it to the ground. It made a soft splash as it landed in a shallow puddle.

"Son of a bitch," he spat angrily.

I untied the rope around my waist and threw it down. I figured it was of no use anymore. Troy ran back to the gate and grabbed both of our flashlights.

"Here," he said.

"Thanks... for the flashlight and for saving me."

"You'd do the same for me," he chuckled. "Besides, I can't just let you die, y/n would be heartbroken."

"Yeah..." I sighed. "Where'd you find the bat?"

"Over there," he pointed to a pile of rubble.

"Huh," I shrugged.

"So, how do you suppose we actually get in there?" he asked, pointing up at tall building.

"I don't think they're in there."

"What do you mean? I thought you said-"

"When y/n spoke to me they kept repeating the same words over and over, one of them being 'ground'."

"As in underground?"

"Yeah, I think so."

"Okay, so how do we get down there?" Troy ran his fingers through his wet hair.

"I mean there's got to be a way in. They did mention once that there was another lab, a bigger one, where they ran the trials."

"The entrance has to be around here somewhere..."

"How about I go look on that side of the lab, and you stay and search over here."

"Alright."

He immediately left and began searching under the rubble. I walked across the yard, inspecting the perimeter for any sign of entrance.

"Y/n?"

"W-will..." the weakness in their voice broke my heart. "Will, I c- can't..."

"Y/n, what do you mean you can't?"

"I- I can't keep... I'm t-too w-weak..."

"Y/n, no!" I ran around looking for something, anything. "Y/n, please! I'm... I'm trying, I... I jus-"

I stopped in my tracks, mid-sentence, when I spotted a building not too far from the lab itself. It was only the size of a small shed. I walked up to it slowly, making sure there were no more monsters lurking around. There seemed to be a door, but there were no handles. I tried to pry it open with my hand, but failed.

"Shit!" I breathed out.

I looked around, searching for someway to open the door, until my eyes landed on a small red button just beside the doors.

"Hey, Troy!" I yelled.

"Yeah?!"

"I've found something!"

In a matter of seconds he was jogging over next to me. He took a moment to catch his breath before speaking.

"I couldn't find anything over there," he sighed. "What'd you get?"

"I've found us a way in," I spoke calmly, pressing the button. There was a small ding as the doors opened revealing an elevator.

"Should we?" Troy looked at me.

"We have to."

We both nodded before stepping inside the elevator. I wasn't really surprised to see that there was only one button with a down arrow. Troy pushed the button and we started moving.

"Do you think they're really down there?" he asked.

"I mean they have to be. We're running out of time. Y/n's running out of time. I can feel it."

"I really hope they're down here. I really do."

"Well, there's only one way to find out."