WHY LISTEN TO ME?

If a disaster struck, who would you want at your side, helping you? A doctor? Lawyer? Policeman? Teacher? While they all have special skills, I submit that the overwhelming choice would be a Special Forces Green Beret. Someone trained in survival, medicine, weapons, tactics, communication, engineering, counter-terrorism, tactical and strategic intelligence and with the capability to be a force multiplier. This last one is key. Another way this book is unique is because your goal should be to plan for dealing with emergencies with a team/family, not a lonely individual holed up in a bunker deep in the hills.

I was part of the committee at the JFK Special Warfare Center and School that revamped the Qualification Course and made SERE (Survival, Evasion, Resistance and Escape) training an entire, separate block.

This book is a step-by-step guide giving you the tactics and techniques Green Berets use to plan for and train to succeed under the toughest of circumstances; thus they will work in every situation you could find yourself. Don't feel that you have to be a Green Beret to use this book. I'm like most people. I'm not a prepper or a hard-core survivalist. I've been trained and have a lot of experience, but my day to day life is pretty normal. I've prepared just like you need to prepare, but prefer room service over sleeping on the side of a mountain. I'm passing on the key knowledge and experience I have acquired through the mindset of someone living in a non-emergency day-to-day lifestyle.

As I began to research the amount of information out there about survival, I was quickly overwhelmed despite having been extensively trained in this area. Between the books, the videos, the internet and the 'reality' shows, the casual person will get swept under. I'm trying to keep this is as simple as possible and looking at it from the point of view of your 'average' person living in an apartment or house who will have to face situations they are probably not prepared for right now. I prefer to start a fire with a lighter rather than making a bow, then a fireboard, then finding a stick, and using all those to start a fire. Let's keep it simple until it gets hard!

We've seen glimpses of what's coming. The Indian Ocean tsunami; Katrina; 9-11; Haiti; the Japanese quake and subsequent tsunami, Hurricane Sandy, the Louisiana floods, Puerto Rico hurricane recovery, California wildfires and so on. But there are many, lesser, emergencies that are more likely.

A key tenet of success for the Green Beret is to act rather than react. When the disaster strikes, it's too late. The clock is ticking. So let's get prepared!