Chapter 14 - Confusion

“J-Jen...” He croaked

“I’m here…I whispered in his ear

“Did you…” I felt fire rise to my cheeks again, he knew… I felt him faintly kiss me back

“Did I what?” Playing the dumb card

“You…You kissed me…why?”

“Urmm… it… urmm” I stuttered, as I started to move back I felt a weakened grip grab my wrist

“Don’t… stay…”

“You’re weak and delusional… you need rest...”

“I’ll feel better… with you next to me” He tried to smile, but he winced in pain instead… seeing him struggle… seeing him have to hide for me… it tore and shred me up inside, but I shook my head and decided to get up anyway I even had to explain to him that there was barely enough room for me to lie down but still he insisted I lie down, even if it was on top of him…

“I can’t Leo… your still healing…”

“I’ll be ok…” He weakly smiled

“Is there anyone I can call… to come help us… you know… drive you or me home”

“No. I don’t trust them.” His voice was stern; I couldn’t help but flinch “I’m sorry, I just don’t trust them to be near you”

“Why?”

“Because, you’re a hybrid… now… help me up” I opened the car door, slid out and grabbed his hands and yanked him up “Whoa... easy” He winced, looping his arm over my shoulder I began to lead him back to the driver’s seat, opened the door once more before slotting him into his seat… it was exhausting all of this, ‘Maybe I’ll pull a sicky tomorrow’  I pondered, it was so tempting.

“Thank you… you’ve done so much for me”

“It’s nothing” I replied, shutting the door before getting into the passenger side myself “Really… you needed help… so I provided it” Fire scorched my face

“I’m sorry you had to see me like that…”

“It’s ok” I lied, to be honest, it genuinely terrified me to see that… that he had to practically… snap his wings in order to have the appearance of a human, it made me shiver all over

“I know when you’re Lying Jen… I can tell it disgusted you...” He turned away from me

“It didn’t disgust me, I felt terrified because… because you had to... snap them…” he just smirked as if he was about to explain something to a child

“oh my sweet, that’s the only way I can ever fit in… or put on a charade I should say… in order to seem human” he reached out and brushed a hair from my eyes, such a sweet sentiment.

“You shouldn’t have to ‘fit in’ as you put it… you should be allowed to be yourself…” he let out a soft sigh as if he were about to talk to a child

“Jen, that’s not possible… you know why don’t you?”

“I think so… but go on”

“Because, we would be idolized… it may seem nice to you… but I assure you it is not, in fact it is the exact opposite… you do not have an inch of privacy… it’s like…” he pondered for a moment, possibly thinking of a comparison “… it’s like your celebrities, but soooo much worse” I nodded, I faintly understood what he meant, having my own brush with fame after the accident… getting bugged by those damn paparazzi… I stared at him and only then did I realise his eyes had changed back to that unearthly blue sapphire… “What?” he asked, plain curiosity stuck to his face along with a cheeky slanted grin.