Chapter 31 - unexpected company

We ate our toast and drank our tea in silence, both pondering on the thoughts of harnessing the power of nature around us. I hadn’t done it in the mortal realm yet and was eager to try it out, but just the mention of elements seemed to make Leo uneasy.

“So… are you up for it” I asked him, observing his eyes and expression carefully

“Sure” He replied bluntly

“Is there something wrong?”

“No, why do you ask?” he stared at me, holding the cup in between his hands, running his thumb over the side of the handle… just like he caressed my hand.

“Because you seem to be a tad distant… that’s all” he stared at me as if genuinely shocked by the statement I just made

“Oh, do I? Sorry sweetie, I was just thinking…”

“About what?”

“Where we could go”

“Well this house is free… we could practise here… only things that are low key though”

“Are you sure?” he asked me

“Positive” I said as I rose from my seat. I wandered over to the cupboard and grabbed another cup, filled it with water and placed it on the table. Wandering out into the garden I grabbed the mini spade that was near to me, scooped up a bit of compost and ran inside… scattering the dirt on the table. Leo just stared at me wide eyed as though I should belong in a mental asylum or something.

“Jen… what are you doing?” he raised a brow at me, still a little suspicious

“Well they are elements? And we are going to try to control the element’s… are we not?”

“Oh” Finally he got it.

  Remembering the training, I kept my head clear but focussed on what I needed to do… It needed to be simple to begin with; I kept my hands down at my sides and focussed my gaze on the soil, I knew that it would get easier and better over time and experience… but it didn’t stop it getting any more frustrating. Getting more and more angrier by the minute I urged to move and to my surprise the grains began to wobble about, I looked up at Leo to see his expression remained vacant as though he did not see what I saw… typical. I pictured the earth this time, forming into the shape of a circle… nothing complex or anything that had sides, within minutes the earth began to move, mould and shape into exactly that I had pictured… well it turned out to be more of an oval… but I suppose it was a start.

“That… was… fucking… amazing…” he stated, which I have to admit made me blush again

“Shut up you… and it’s your turn” I said as I pushed the cup of water towards him, he nodded and then averted his gaze to the contents inside. In a few minutes I began to hear the water bubbling, parts of the water began to spit and churn in the cup I felt a droplet land on my hand and was surprised to feel it sting… it was bloody hot! I could slowly see the water tilt from side to side as it rose form the cup… it got about 4 inches above the cup when he let out a gasp and it fell with a splosh.

“Are you ok?” I asked, reaching my hand out

“Yeah… I think it’s harder because we know what the shape of our wings… but trying to make a new shape out of raw materials… having to make it original… I think that’s why it’s harder” He was gasping for breath as he tried to rationalise what just happened. He grabbed my outstretched hand after a while, caressing the back of my hand as he smiled at me

“We’ll get the hang of it… it just takes time” I stared down at the table then

“Thankfully we have it” I pulled my hand back