1: a national title

Chase's P.O.V.

I took a deep breath as I raised my arm to throw the pitch that would determine if we were the national champs or not. I needed  to strike out Joseph Daniels, or the Rays would get another home run and we would lose. I threw the ball in a curve and Joseph swung, missing the ball completely. I jumped in the air as my team ran up to me. My best friend, Easton, was first to reach me, picking me up in a hug.

"You did it!" he yelled as the rest of our team reached us. I smiled at them as we all jumped up and down in excitement. We had just won the title of National Champions and I couldn't be happier.

"Joseph Daniels with another strike, making it the Rays 3rd out of the 9th inning, giving the Houston Herons the win and title of National Champions for the 6th year in a row!" The announcer yells into his mic as everyone cheers. A trophy, taller than my little sister, is in my coaches hands as he runs up to us. The boys lift me up on their shoulders chanting "MVP! MVP! MVP!" I laughed as they tossed me in the air. This was the perfect ending to the perfect season with the guys.

***

"And a beer for the MVP of the Houston Herons," my dad handed me a beer. I laughed.

"Drink your beer dad, I'm seventeen, I don't need it."

"Whatever you say, kiddo," he laughed and sat down on the log next to mine around the fire. My step-sister, Olivia, ran out and sat next to me. I put my arm around her shoulders and took a sip of my glass full of water.

"What's up, Liv?" I looked down at her.

"You know, Joshie," she called me by my middle name, Joshua. "I turn 15 tomorrow," she stated, as a matter of factually.

"God help us," dad muttered under his breath.

"You know, Gracie," I called her by her middle name, Grace. "I already knew that." I blew a raspberry at her. She giggled.

"Just making sure, Joshie!" she laughed. I smiled at her and looked up to my dad and his wife, Kalissa. It was crazy to think that in a few years, that would be me with someone. 

"That's a while from now, Chase." my dad answered my thoughts. "But until then, let's talk about tryouts tomorrow," he smiled.

"I still can't believe coach Lawton is making me tryout for him again this year. For starters, I am a junior this year and have been the starting pitcher since freshman year and he just saw us win nationals."

"You still have to tryout, son."

"Wait, Coach Lawton is your select team and high school team coach?" Kalissa asked.

"Number 1 in the nation," I stated. "That's why I decided to live with dad for my high school career. Dad was already here and when I found out he was coaching here, I came to the decision to move." I explained.

"How did I not know that?" she asked herself. I laughed and stood up.

"Thanks for everything, guys." I smiled at my dad and step-mother. "The food was fantastic, Kalissa, thank you. I have tryouts tomorrow and need to get some sleep so I am going to bed. Goodnight, I love you guys." I walked towards the back door.

"CHASE!" Olivia yelled, jumping on my back. I caught her and tripped.

"Oof! Yes, Olivia?" She held onto me tighter and laid her head on my back. 

"Take me with you." I laughed and walked up to her room. I fell backward onto her bed. "OWWWW!!!! CHAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! GET OFF OF ME!" she shrieked. I laughed as I let go of her legs and stood up.

"G'night, Liv." I left her room and took off my hoodie and jeans. I got under the covers and drifted to sleep, thinking about tryouts after school tomorrow.