FIVE

ˏˋ°•* THE HOUSE OF MEMORIES ‧₊˚.[THE HEROES OF OLYMPUS]

J A S O N
chapter five: chandler's tiger friend unfortunately prefers goddesses to snausages. to their luck, olympus is fresh out.

__________________________________________

JASON GRACE felt an unmistakable pounding in his chest, as if his heart were trying to burst out. he felt cold sweat drip ominously down the back of his neck. he felt that shake of anxiety course ice cold through his veins as his hands shook.

it was fear. fear creeped up inside of him as chandler walked him to the big house. he hadn't even stepped food onto the faded, white paint of the wraparound porch. something in him just knew that if he went inside, if he met whoever chandler was taking him to, he was a dead man. despite the hard to ignore, entrancing smile on her face, he felt as if he were in real danger.

"we're here," chandler gestured blandly to the big house, as though she was simply waving at an old shed or something of the sort. it didn't look threatening, not in the slightest. it was just a four-story manor painted baby blue with white trim. the wraparound porch had lounge chairs, a card table, and an empty wheelchair. wind chimes shaped like nymphs turned into trees as they spun.

jason could imagine old people coming for summer vacation, sitting on the porch, and sipping prune juice while they watched the sunset. still, the windows seemed to glare down at him like angry eyes. the wide-open doorway looked ready to swallow him. on the highest gable, a bronze eagle weathervane spun in the wind and pointed straight in his direction, as if telling him to turn around.

every molecule in jason's body told him he was on enemy ground. "i am not supposed to be here," he said, unease filling his tone. chandler fixed him with a no nonsense, cautious glance. after seeing the tattoos on his forearm, she also knew he was not supposed to be there. sure, he was a demigod, and camp half-blood was demigod friendly zone to anyone who needed it, but chandler couldn't help her reluctance.

she had a dangerous guess as to jason's origin as her eyes kept lingering on the eagle burned into his skin, the sacred animal of zeus. it must've meant the demigod was affiliated with the king of gods somehow, whether that mean parentage, through blessing, or following his path ( chandler had met some magicians that followed the path of gods in her day ). something about him felt startling familiar, from the shade of blue of his eyes, to the curve of the bridge of his nose. his features were familiar.

"oh, calm down, blondie," chandler soothed him, noting the instant relaxation that wen through him at her assurance. she tucked some curly hair away from her face, giving him a nod of reassurance that was a lot more attractive than he would've care to admit. his chest filled with warmth as she gave him the smallest slight quirk of her lips. it wasn't even a full smile, and he felt a stinging in his cheeks. "you'll be just fine, i promise."

chandler smelled like literal warmth. it was a strange, but soothing combination of something woodsy, a flame, and the slight scent of gunpowder, which was strangely entrancing on her. jason wondered if she always smelled like that, or if it was some kind of special scent she found at bath and bodyworks.

black pencil liner was smoothly drawn on her waterline, and it was really distracting. when she looked up at him through her long, dark lashes, he felt compelled to look into her deep, mahogany eyes. maybe it was the point, but she was really, really pretty. it made him nervous.

"look, i appreciate — "

"well, you're welcome," chandler told him, though she didn't seem super keen on his response to her acceptance, nor did she seem to care if he actually appreciated her taking him on the tour. jason found that somewhat endearing, someone not fawning over his every move and for his attention. he got the oddest feeling happened a lot before he lost his memory.