TWENTY-SEVEN

ˏˋ°•*⁀ THE HOUSE OF MEMORIES ₊˚.[THE HEROES OF OLYMPUS]

J A S O N
chapter twenty-seven: yeah, we don't really do anything & i basically spend the chapter describing chandler

__________________________________________

JASON WOULD'VE died at least a good five, six times on the way to the front door if not for leo, and chandler.

first, it was the motion-activated trapdoor on the sidewalk. then, the lasers on the steps, then, the nerve gas dispenser on the porch railing, the pressure-sensitive poison spikes in the welcome mat, and of course the exploding doorbell. they'd deactivated all of them. it was like they could smell the traps, and leo picked just the right tool out of his belt to disable them.

"you guys are amazing," the blonde breathed, blinking in literal awe as he admired the way leo peered at the front door lock, then pulling an unsatisfied scowl. he murmured something barely legible under his breath. it was enough to make jason's face flush a bit in embarrassment, already feeling that the hephaestus boy was referencing something he must've said under the influence of medea.

it didn't help the shame that was building quickly in his gut when chandler offered a snort at whatever her brother said. of course, jason hadn't expected her to trip, and run to defend him against her literally brother. but, he didn't expect her to laugh, and not lightly scold him a bit. the longer jason thought about it, the more unfair he figured his feelings were as his words under the influence of that which must've, no, definitely hurt chandler as well. actually, he figured it was a bit more than that as she'd been avoiding him like some lightening infested plague since they left the department store.

"front door's already unlocked," leo announced, before jason got a chance to get too deeply stuck in his own thoughts. how couldn't he when they were constantly swirling around chandler. did she like him? did he like her? gods, he knew the answer to that days ago. the moment she's shoved through the crowd of demigods with will solace, looking more than uninterested in himself, and his companies, he'd already felt his heart fluttering like some sort of lovesick hummingbird. he thought maybe it was just because she was pretty, but drew was pretty, piper was pretty, but chandler was beautiful.

he blinked dumbly as piper's voice interrupted his train of thought. it startled him so bad, chandler noticed he'd practically jumped out of his skin at the sound of the aphrodite girl's voice. he just hoped the embarrassment wasn't too apparent on his face. he looked away fast, turning to piper, who had originally spoken in the first place. she was frowning at the front door in utter disbelief, "unlocked?" she repeated, like it sounded completely ridiculous. "all those traps, and the door's unlocked?"

chandler fixed her with a look, speaking no words, but her expression told many. there was an impatient roll of her eyes, and she stepped forward, and turned the knob with little regard for the unease in both piper, and jason's expressions. it swung open with no give in the slightest, and she stepped inside. there wasn't any hesitation as leo followed right behind her.

jason opened his mouth to speak for chandler, to apologize for her harshness, and callousness, but instead piper caught his arm with a gentle smile, "don't apologize, jason. and, don't take it personally. they need some time with what's happened."

"yeah," the blonde found himself nodding, but trying to camouflage the hurt that he was undeniably feeling. leo was his best friend. and chandler was, well, she was chandler. and, it didn't feel good when they were upset with him. he deserved it, but it didn't make him feel any better. "let's just go, okay?"