THIRTY-NINE

ˏˋ°•* THE HOUSE OF MEMORIES ‧₊˚.[THE HEROES OF OLYMPUS]

j a s o n

chapter thirty-nine: a giant tries ( succeeds ) to straddle me

WHEN JASON'S lance broke, he knew he was dead.

the battle had started well enough. his instincts kicked in, and his gut told him he'd dueled opponents almost this big before. size and strength equaled slowness, so jason just had to be quicker, pace himself, wear out his opponent, and avoid getting smashed or flame-broiled.

the honey blonde had some luck on his side. his fighting partner was really good, and seemed to have the same experience fighting giant humanoids. she tucked and rolled, she jabbed and stabbed. but an unfortunate thing was one, jason found chandler really attractive. he never understood the concept of sirens, or anything like that, but trying to fight at chandler's side was proving to be a challenge when he couldn't help getting distracted by her beauty. she'd do something normal, like brush one of her colored curls out of her face, but look like an actress out of an action movie, and jason was stuck.

second, as if the first wasn't already enough, he kept finding himself trying to make sure she was safe, unharmed, and out of the giant's way, while still trying to fight himself. now, theoretically, he knew that was ridiculous since she'd proved on numerous occasions she could more than likely kick his ass, but the jupiter demigod couldn't help but worry for her. he cared, maybe a bit too much the more he thought about it. it was something he'd never had to deal with before.

jason rolled out of the way from the giant's first spear thrust, and jabbed enceladus in the ankle with the point of his lance. the blade managed to pierce the thick dragon hide, and golden ichor, the blood of immortals, trickled down the giant's clawed foot. chandler took a running start, and did a high jump from the ground to impale her sword into his knee, then tucking into what looked like a superhero landing to jason. she hopped up when her sword fell from the giant's wound, and jabbed at the back of his heels.

enceladus bellowed in pain, and blasted them with white-hot columns of fire. jason scrambled away, rolling behind the giant, and struck behind his knee once more. meanwhile, chandler ricocheted his flames back, it bounced from in from in front of her off a faint, glowing red shield, but the trick noticeably drained her energy as her posture slackened. it went on like that for seconds, minutes, well, jason wasn't completely sure on the details.

of course, the honey blonde had picked up on the combat noises from across the clearing; construction equipment grinding, fire roaring, monsters shouting, and rocks smashing into metal. he knew for a fact he heard leo, and piper yelling defiantly, which brought him some relief as it meant they were still alive. another thing the jupiter demigod tried not to think about. he couldn't afford to get more distracted than he already was.

enceladus' spear missed him by a millimeter, but jason kept dodging. well, he tried, the ground stuck to his feet. chandler was trying to cover for him being lost in thought, defending him against attacks, and even yanking him out of line of fire a couple of times. gaea was getting stronger, and the giant was getting faster. enceladus might've been slow as a giant, but he wasn't dumb. he began anticipating their moves, and their attacks were causing less damage,

"i'm not some minor monster," enceladus bellowed angrily, as if more frustrated they weren't taking him more serious. "i am a giant, i am born to destroy gods. your little toothpicks can't kill me, children."