NINETEEN

ˏˋ°•* THE HOUSE OF MEMORIES ‧₊˚.[THE HEROES OF OLYMPUS]

L E O
chapter nineteen: chandler & i meet evil porta-potty sludge, so i threw a toilet seat at it (makes sense, right?)

__________________________________________

LEO WISHED the dragon hadn't landed on the toilets.

of all the places to crash, a line of porta-potties would not have been his first choice. a dozen of the blue plastic boxes had been set up in the factory yard, and festus had flattened them all. fortunately, they hadn't been used in a long time, and the fireball from the crash incinerated most of the contents; but still, there were some pretty gross chemicals leaking out of the wreckage. leo, and chandler had to pick their way through, and try not to breathe through their noses.

heavy snow was coming down, but the dragon's hide was still steaming hot. of course, that didn't bother either of the hephaestus kids. after a few minutes of him, and chandler climbing over festus's inanimate body, leo started to get irritated. the dragon looked perfectly fine. yes, it had fallen out of the sky, and landed with a big ka-boom, but its body wasn't even dented. the fireball had apparently come from built up gasses inside the toilet units, not from the dragon itself. festus's wings were intact. nothing seemed broken.

there was no reason it should have stopped. chandler groaned loudly, clearly having come to the same conclusion, "festus, there's nothing wrong."

"not our fault," he muttered annoyedly under his breath. "festus, you're making us look bad."

then, chandler opened the control panel on the dragon's head, and leo's heart sank. "oh, festus, what the heck?"the wiring had frozen over. leo knew it had been okay yesterday. he'd worked so hard to help repair the corroded lines, but something had caused a flash freeze inside the dragon's skull, where it should've been too hot for ice to form. the ice had caused the wiring to overload, and char the control disk. leo couldn't see any reason that would've happened.

sure, the dragon was old, but still, it didn't make sense. the wires could be replaced. that wasn't the problem. they were frozen. how are they supposed to work with frozen wires? leo imagined his mom's voice: most problems look worse than they are, mijo. nothing is unfixable. his mom could repair just about anything, but leo was pretty sure she'd never worked on a fifty-year-old magic metal dragon.

he clenched his teeth, and decided they had to try. he wasn't walking from detroit to chicago in a snowstorm, and he wasn't going to be responsible for stranding his friends. "right," he muttered, brushing the snow off his shoulders. "gimme a nylon bristle detail brush, some nitrile gloves, and maybe a can of that aerosol cleaning solvent."

the tool belt obliged. leo couldn't help smiling as he pulled out the supplies. the belt's pockets did have limits. they wouldn't give him anything magic, like jason's sword, or anything huge, like a chainsaw. he'd tried asking for both. and if he asked for too many things at once, the belt needed a cooldown time before it could work again. the more complicated the request, the longer the cool down. but anything small and simple like you might find around a workshop – all leo had to do was ask.

chandler began cleaning off the control disk. while she worked, snow collected on the cooling dragon. leo had to summon fire from time to time, and melt it away, but mostly the pair went into autopilot mode, their hands working by themselves as their thoughts wandered.

leo couldn't believe how stupid he'd acted back at boreas's palace. he should've figured a family of winter gods would hate him on sight. son of the fire god flying a fire-breathing dragon into an ice penthouse – yeah, maybe not the best move. still, he hated feeling like a reject. chandler, jason, and piper got to visit the throne room. leo got to wait in the lobby with cal, the demigod of hockey and major head injuries.