chapter 5

Chapter 5
CLAIRE
I GOT BACK TO THE APARTMENT a few minutes past noon, Rebecca had gone to her place to sort something, promising she'd be back tomorrow morning before heading to work. I shrugged out of my black dress, walked into the kitchen to fix myself a bite, wearing my black bra and thong. I came back into the living room going through my phone. 20 missed calls from my Mum, Nick, Mitchy, and Damon. Nick's call popped on.

"Claire, I've been so worried, how are you?"

I just wimped out.

"I guess that personal stuff is still eating you up and it'd be selfish of me to take you out in the midst of it all. We can reschedule if you want although i don't mind coming over to your place to check up on you instead."

"Thank you, Nick, we'll work on the reschedule. I appreciate you wanting to come over but I'd rather be alone for a while, to set things straight for myself"

"I respect that, are you coming in on Monday?"

I had read Damon's text saying i take Monday off too and I'm beginning to think i might actually use it.

"I don't know yet, if not ill just resume on Tuesday.

He updated me on what's been happening at the agency and after a few minutes, we were done and i hung up.

A thought lingered on my mind. Life takes everything from me, what if i decide to get married or have kids, would i be punished again with the loss of my loved ones? The thought makes me scared and confused. Or was i the cursed one, blaming Life to make me feel better?
I turned off the Tv, feeling too distant to commit my attention to the screen. 

I strolled into the kitchen to get a bottle of red wine and glass, and then into the living room. What i had thought would take me just two glass ended up exhausting the entire bottle. I didn't stop there, i took another bottle from the kitchen, slightly tripping on my way back to the couch in the living room.

Halfway down the second bottle, i knew alcohol had begun its work. Getting drunk was the only way i can get past today and begin anew tomorrow.

I saw Katherine walk out from my room heading towards me. She flashed a smile.

" Mommy!"

Hearing her say those words made my tummy tickle. My daughter came back to me.

"My baby," i said while touching her face and staring into her eyes that's identical to mine.

"I love you, mommy"

"I love you too Katty, always and forever" i hugged her so tight it choked her.

"Sorry, i just wanted to...." I heard the doorbell ring, returning my gaze back to my front, Katherine was no longer there. I went to my room to grab a robe, i was so drunk and wobbly. I looked at my living room again to see if my daughter would show up, but she didn't. I took a deep breath before opening the door. 

Damon.....

Why in God's name is he here again? He needs to get the memo that I'm not interested in him seeing me or we talking but i was too drunk to argue and fight. So i let him in.

"What do you want Damon?" I relax on the couch directly facing where Damon's sitting.

"And don't bullshit me with that *I'm checking up on you *, i know you want to talk about last time and like i told you before...." He cut me off

"I like you, Claire"

My jaw dropped and i laughed hysterically.

"Do you have cameras rolling? Is this some kind of joke you want to record so you can watch later and mock me?" I threw my hands in the air, still laughing - alcohol side effect on me-.