The Prince

Ever since I was born in this world, I was always locked up inside the castle

Ever since I was born in this world, I was always locked up inside the castle. I didn't have the chance to get out of the castle since I am the Prince. 

I am the Prince and they have to protect me at all cost. The King and Queen couldn't risk their Prince to be harmed, not because I am their son, but because I am their successor.

Everyone looked up to me, for I am their prince; I am their next king that will reign. 

Everyone thought that it's all rainbows and butterflies inside the castle, but it isn't; it's suffocating. 

In everything I did, there was always someone to watch my actions. In every action I do, I didn't do it because I wanted to, but because they told me to.

That is my life inside the castle for 23 years.

I hated every part of the castle for it always reminded me that I'm only living because of a responsibility, because I am the next King. 

I didn't live to be happy. I didn't live to love and to be loved.

The castle was too big, too big for my liking. It is big but it's empty; it felt lonely. We have many people but everybody is always busy, everybody always has something to do. And so, even within the big castle where I live, I hated it.

Except for the palace gate.

Full of loneliness
This garden bloomed
Full of thorns
I hung myself in this sand castle

"Prince..." a voice called me. "The queen wants to speak to you," the butler said to me respectfully.  

I turned my head in his direction and sighed.

My heart throbbed a little, it always happens when somebody mentions my mother. 

I nodded at him and we both made our way to my mother's room. He also followed me and silence enveloped the both of us.

I couldn't stand the silence so, I said, "How is she?"

There was a beat then he looked at me for a second. 

"See for yourself," he replied shortly. 

I remained silent on the way to the queen's room. My mind started to be clouded with unwanted thoughts I avoided for quite some time. That's why I didn't want to visit my mother. But then, as we made our way to my mother's room, it all came back to me again.

I stopped in my place when I came face to face with the huge door in front of me, knowing that mother is inside this room. The butler slowly opened the door and my heart started to throb. I breathe deeply before entering her room.

"Mother..." I whispered when I saw her.

There she was, lying on the big bed, alone. She's pale and she got thinner unlike the last time I saw her.