Chapter 6, The Not So Great Escape Part 1

"Are you fucking kidding me?!"Dwayne snarled his fist slamming against the wall of the elevator, leaving a dent. The damn elevator was stuck due to the earthquake that drowned the city below sea level, which  he still had a hard time believing.

"No human, I am not." The Voice said with neutrality. "As we speak, New York is being dragged below to the ocean floor."

"If they're planning to kill us, what was the point of-"

"Kill you?" The voice sounded confused, after a while it understood what Dwayne meant. "We know of your species' need for oxygen, they will not suffocate if that's what you're worried about."

"Oh there's plenty of things I'm worried about!" Dwayne snapped. "Why the hell are they sinking the city?!"

"To avoid this planet's Guardians from intruding on our experiment, we're using the city as a testing ground for human behavior."

"Unless I missed the day when Superman suddenly needed glasses, the Justice Leauge will fucking notice an entire city missing!"

"Not possible, Kryptonians possess marvelous eyesight-"

"Sarcasm damn it, SARCASM!" Dwayne roared. The voice went silent, waiting patiently for Dwayne to calm himself then responded casually.

"We've constructed another version of your city created via hard light materials, then strategically placed it above the original."

Dwayne's brain cells ceased the production line, unable to process the nonsense this voice was spewing from it's invisible mouth. Once his brain went through a major reboot, he engaged the voice again.

"I'm going to need some more context than that, Voice." Dwayne rubbed his temples. "Do you know how stupid that sounds, how can a city that can inhabit  millions of people be built in a day? Get real!"

"I believe I've said this before fleshsack, but I'm happy to repeat myself once more. We are leagues above your primitive minds."  The Voice sniped. "Do you truly consider human architecture perplexing to us? We've witnessed creatures smaller than you build huts that were harder to replicate."

Another hard left hook that sent humanity on the ropes, Dwayne marked it as a tally much to his dismay. "So what, you guys are able to build  skyscrapers like they were legos."

"I do not have knowledge of these legos,if I may look through  your memories-"

"Not happening, " Dwayne shut that down, "this is the last time I'm going to tell you to stay away from my head!" Dwayne narrowed his eyes, having an alien in your head was bad enough, Having said alien burrowing through your memories had him on edge.

"What can you possibly do to harm me, Human? The best you can do is  bang your head against a wall, and that'll work both ways."

"Big talk for an alien parasite!" Dwayne snapped. "Didn't Luxon say you're a newborn or something like that? You're basically the world's most intelligent man-child...or alien-child?"

"Human..." The voice sounded beyond it's years when it released a tired groan. "It will take me an abundance of time to lecture you on the basics of our birthing process, it will take even longer to explain how humanity is such an evolutionary failure compared to other species. However, there are more critical concerns to be focus on."

"R-Right." Dwayne shook his head, remembering his initial  question. "Are you forgetting there's twenty million people living here? Imagine someone coming home from vacation and seeing their families along with a hundred percent of the population had vanished. The capes will be knocking down doors so fast your heads will spin."