Chapter One

A/N

Ah. Feels so good to be a college graduate. I found myself craving some good dad/family Kylo Ren and had to write this little story. This was actually a sequence I wanted to fit into another story I wrote but never found a spot for it. So here it is now!

You hadn't the slightest idea who the First Order was until they stormed your small planet, attacked your government, and began slaughtering those who refused to bend to their will. You had always been a loner, no friends and no near family when you had tried and failed to attend a college on the planet they had taken. You were definitely struggling just to stay afloat, and you were hardly surprised when a week into the First Order's rein your small, shitty apartment was broken into and you were dragged from your bed, out into the dirt where you found more of your neighbors on their knees at the mercy of the Storm Troopers that held guns at their noses. "Do you submit to the First Order?" They'd ask. "Give up your property. Give up your life!" They said rattling everyone to their bones. You were of course afraid for your life just as everyone else was. Especially when your neighbor stood to his feet and ran as fast as he could only to receive a blaster wound to his back. He fell to the ground, bleeding to his slow and painful death. The Storm Troopers giggled as they watched his body fall. You as well as all of your neighbors were haunted as they allowed you to stand and return to your homes, but only after they got a sheet full of signatures that said you and all of your worldly possessions now belonged to the First Order.

That night you never went back to sleep. Instead you lay awake staring at your ceiling, one part calming yourself and one part internally panicking like there was no tomorrow. These people could do anything they wanted to you now that you had signed your life over to them, and the thought sent your anxiety through the roof. You couldn't stand the thought of working this hard to be able to live on your own only to have it all ripped away from you so brutally. There must have been something you could do to secure your safety. Surely with these new people new jobs would have been created on your planet, and they would provide you with what you needed to live. You shut your eyes, attempted to get just a few more hours of sleep, but the thought of being ripped from your home again reminded you that you didn't have time to waste. You threw the blanket from your body and dressed in a modest sweater and jeans, not even bothering with your hair or teeth before heading out into the dead of night. You were determined to get yourself answers and you would be getting them tonight.

You had to stop and ask for directions multiple times. You lived thirty minutes outside of the city by cab, and over an hour long walk on foot. You thought that would be the best place to look when looking for the people who ran the Order. The city was the most populated part of your planet, and it's where the majority of government officials were. You walked until the sun began to rise. Every so often a petrified citizen would walk past you keeping their head down. A father pulling three children covered in blankets and one suitcase in a wagon behind him while the mother followed behind them ushered past you, apologizing quietly for bumping you. You thought you were going in the right direction based on the scared people walking past you alone. But the confirmation that you had almost reached your destination was an elderly gentleman stopping you and begging you to turn back.

"It's not safe," He nearly shouted at you. You could tell he was trying to be quiet, but the urgency in his voice came off too loud. "The soldiers in white, they're gathering people up and enslaving them. Get out while you can!" He finally let go of you, hobbling away as quick as his body and cane would allow. He had no suitcase with him, only the clothes on his back. You watched in awe as he disappeared into an alley, leaving only you and the rising sun on the pavement and buildings. You wondered if this was really a good decision to be making in the moment, or if you were willingly carrying yourself to death. You had made up your mind, though. There must be some way you could spare yourself. Surely these people wouldn't be as tyrannical as they appeared to be.