the fear of darkness

every night as i turn off the light,
a beast comes out of the lair where he awaits every night.

he crawls out a horrible being: at least six feet tall, drowning everything around him in a lifeless light, consuming everything and anything until it can't be seen.

and so you're left, adrift in an endless sea with no means of rescue or escape.

he makes you wake in the dead of night, controls your mind and hides your might.

he grasps your heart within his hand,
conducts the rhythm and plays a song,
the tempo changing at his command.

he'll grab control over your senses,
paralyze you when he pleases,
make you relax but then he reaches.

you think well, he must be atrocious, vicious, a terrible entity... but instead it's quite the contrary. in turn, he is cautious and aware, analytic and prepared.

he is always ready, but never attacks. all he does is stand, lingering a few feet away from you. silently watching while you lay there, as if considering.

many are afraid of him as you can see, and understandably so, since the effects he might have on you could affect you at an unexplainable level.

effectively he transmits these symptoms throughout the night, so anxiety inducing and psychological that by the time you wake up, it'll feel as though you never slept.

God forbid you open your eyes,
Heaven forbid you voice your cries,
you mustn't toss,
you mustn't turn.
use the fabric as an armor,
act like a shield against
the shapeless terror.

all there's left is just to wait and hope.
hope for the sun to show its rays,
hope that everything you know and love will reappear and act as though it never left.

you ask for him but no one knows.
could it be that it was all for show?