9. engagement

It's July, one day left for kria's engagement, and Kong is very busy. His office work is nothing compared to the huge task of getting everything ready for Arthit's sisters engagement. Kria is only functioning through it all and Rob her fiance is helping her as much as possible. Everything has spiralled down too fast by the time June has come. Everything. But Kong is not going to dwell on that. He promised Arthit to give his sister the perfect engagement and he is going to keep the promise.

He rushes to the event manager for the last minute details. Em and Tay is also trying to help him. Especially Tay, Em is like a big ice bear just overbearing not fruitful at all. Em is more worried about him rather than helping him. Tay is the more mature one, trying to sail through it all and be strong for all of those involved.But Tay can only help after his very demanding duties at hospital, so Kong basically has become the representative of the whole bride side now.

He finishes approving the flower arrangements, the food order  and the table placements before driving the yellow mini Cooper back to Arthit's apartment. It's quite late, when he arrives almost ten in the night. But the moment he opens the door with his own spare key Arthit's mom comes down . Kong guesses she has her eyes on the driveway waiting for his arrival from the patio window, that overlooks the garage. She always makes sure he has warm food and taking care of himself, like his own mom, disregarding her own pain and heartbreak.

" How is he?"

" Same, sleeping. You change and come down I will heat the food by that time. I know you will not get satisfied just by my words. But he feels better today. He messaged you right?"

" Yes, but you are right Mae , I need to see him to believe it. Tomorrow's all arrangements are done . Kria came?"

" She just left. She still can't believe its relapsed again,  just a little above two years. When the second trying time of relapse, at the mere age of seventeen, he fought for one and half year and survived this cancer, we thought it's over ultimately..but it happened again. I don't even  know why?" She tries to control her emotions in.. the rage, the helplessness, the empty feeling in her heart. She lost her first husband to the same curse, why can't her child be spared the agony!!

" Arthit is a fighter Mae. Everything will be alright. He won twice and he will win again. He will get better soon."

She can only look at those onyx eyes shinning with determination and nod. Kong makes his way up stairs. Only when he disappeares from sight , she lets her tears fall  as she heats all Kong's favourite food, which Arthit wanted her to make.

" Art? Are you awake?" Kong enters the patio. Arthit likes to sleep there rather than the bedroom nowadays. Kong knows, he keeps on staring outside the whole day, trying to soak in life through the tinted dark windows..

" Yea.. come in Kong" Arthit is too tired to even open his eyes but he pries them open, he has to see Kong.

" Rested enough? When is the next chemo? I will go with you this time! No more excuses about missing my work and making me not come with you"

" Next week Monday mostly, if not early."

" Ok. I will take leave that day,. You want to have soup?" Kong wants him to eat something, he knows for sure he has not eaten anything or puked it out. Chemo does that to you and Arthit's digestion from before had been spoiled with earlier relapse at age seventeen. He normally couldn't take much food even when he was in remission.

" No, just sit without speaking, you talk too much, wanna cuddle?"

Kong jumps into his arms, now it's rare for him to ask for cuddle , his whole body aches with minor touch since the chemo started.

They cuddle until Arthit falls asleep in his arms. Kong softly pecks his lips which are dry and crusted. He knows what this treatment entitles, but he finds Arthit so beautiful even without hair, even being skinny like a skeleton. Because the man is priceless, his boyfriend is the apple of his eyes. He loves him, period!

🌱🌱🌱🌱🌱

Next day Arthit insists on going for sometime to kria's engagement party, with the help of Kong, refusing wheel chair stoically. Kong can't help but oblige , he is a sucker for all his stupid requests. Kong carries him to the car and even carries him to the venue and places him in a seat away from the crowd but where he can observe everything.

When the ring ceremony begins, Arthit wipes away his tears, everything is too perfect. Kong had made sure his sister gets her dream engagement. Kong squeezes his fingers, their eyes meet speaking everything silently. Their love for each other, the care, the longing.

" Wanna get engaged to me ?" Kong asks the question he is meaning to ask for a long time.

" Engagement of pity?" Arthit smirks.

" Engagement of commitment. Why should I pity you? My ex was hankering over you when we were in Thailand. Your ex approached me again yesterday asking if I am planning to let you go..that jerk.. it's me who should be pitied. I have only my old hag boss..and my office colleagues proposing me right and left, oh and that model I met at the office party, he asked me out on a date." He winks at him.

" You are trying to make me jealous, black mailing to get engaged..how cheap! Idiot, go out with the model, he will run in one day when he will know your pathetic sense of humor and all your craziness for tragic movies and cartoons."

" huh! Your wish of me leaving you alone will never get fulfilled, you are not allowed to search fresh pasture ever again.!" They are busy bickering back and forth that they don't comprehend when Kria and Rob comes and stands beside their table watching their drama.

" Arthit this is for you." Kria hugs her brother softly, and passes him a box. Arthit opens it to discover two plain Platinum bands.

" What is this? "

" It's a gift from us, to both of you. Kong has long ago desired to be engaged to you. We spoke about it even before he went to Thailand, when Rob proposed."

Everybody's eyes are on them now, the aunties and uncles who were all silent and less boisterous suddenly very bubbly, Kong himself is bouncing up and down in excitement. Arthit just looks on as Kong shamelessly takes the rings and dangles before his eyes.

" Yippee, kria is the best..so engaged?"

" No way.."

" Dont make me scold you  Arth"

" Scold away" Arthit is feeling  breathlessness..he feels fatigue and numbness take over, though he is feeling immense happiness in his heart with everything going around him,  his family's unconditional support, his lovers childishness, his sister's encouragement to cheer his lover and him .. he collapses suddenly shocking everyone..as the two engagement rings rolls away...

as the two engagement rings rolls away

💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕

It's bittersweet so wait for the last chapter.. next is last..do read..🥰🥰🥰🥰