#10

an: happy new year

The late summer sun shone down on the two boys out on the porch.

Yamaguchi sprawled out next to Tsukishima who leaned against the brick wall of the house with his eyes closed. Yamaguchi wasn't sure if his friend had succumbed to sleep.

Yamaguchi observed—carefully—so he wouldn't disturb Tsukishima. He picked at his fingers as he usually did when he was anxious.

Yamaguchi studied Tsukishima's face. His eyes swept over Tsukishima's face continually as if he was looking for something.

He thought about reaching over and touching his hair, his face, his hands. He thinks about Tsukishima's hands a lot.

He thinks about reaching out and grabbing Tsukishima's hand that laid idle between them—

"Is there something on my face?" Tsukishima inquired, one of his eyes open.

A small gasp escapes Yamaguchi's lips as he finds out his friend is indeed not sleeping. His face turns to beat red from the embarrassment as he quickly shakes his head no.

Sorry I was spacing out Yamaguchi signed to Tsukishima.

Spacing out may have been an understatement. Daydreaming is more like it. He's been daydreaming a lot more frequently.

Tsukishima even showed up in his dreams. Sometimes they're nice dreams. Tsukishima holds his hands and tells him he loves him. Most of the time, Tsukishima tells him that he's a nuisance and that he hates him.

This small crush Yamaguchi has developed on Tsukishima is dangerous. He wasn't sure when he started liking Tsukishima. Maybe it was because they spent so much time together.

Tsukishima wouldn't like him, Yamaguchi knew that. Tsukishima liking a guy was impossible, hell he didn't even talk about the girls in his class and when he did he never said anything good about them.

Tsukishima gets up and signals to Yamaguchi that he'll be going home. Yamaguchi waves goodbye but really wants to plead to Tsukishima to stay. For now, his plea falls on deaf ears even though Yamaguchi feels like he's screaming. But for now, he can only dream of Tsukishima and for now, that will do.