08. 𝐍𝐎𝐖 𝐖𝐎𝐔𝐋𝐃 𝐁𝐄 𝐀 𝐆𝐎𝐎𝐃 𝐓𝐈𝐌𝐄 𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐍𝐘𝐎𝐍𝐄 𝐁𝐔𝐓 𝐌𝐄

THE SMELL OF POPCORN ASSAULTED YOUR NOSE THROUGH MINA'S DOOR AND YOU INHALED DEEPLY, savoring the buttery scent

THE SMELL OF POPCORN ASSAULTED YOUR NOSE THROUGH MINA'S DOOR AND YOU INHALED DEEPLY, savoring the buttery scent. You finally knocked, taking a deep breath. Murmuring was audible through the thin wood, the distinct loud laughter of Kaminari and Mina.

"Come in!" Mina called out and you opened the door, slipping inside apprehensively.

The room was a explosion of bright baby pink on your eyeballs; a giant bed with a mountain of cushions, a wide walk-in wardrobe to the side, a dresser with an assortment of knickknacks on top and a sea of beanbags and pillows sprawled across the floor. Kaminari and Mina lounged on animal print bean bags, relaxing and scrolling on their phones by the looks of things.

"Thanks for texting with the heads up you were on your way." Mina smiled, a devious twinkle in her eyes.

"N-no problem. Didn't want to interrupt anything." You'd grown rather close with Mina and Kaminari lately but a slight stutter still managed to make its way out.

Mina giggled, winking at you. "As if!"

"Hey!" Kaminari cried, acting offended.

The three of you chuckled. Mina went to direct you to an empty bean bag but froze. She facepalmed, clearly remembering something she had forgot.

"Hey, Y/n. I don't wanna be rude but could you run down to the common room and grab another bag of popcorn? We're all out."

Frowning slightly, you nodded. "Sure."

The hallway and stairwell were eerily silent and empty, not a hide nor hair of a single of your classmates around. It took a few searches of random cupboards before you stumbled upon the packet, slamming the door stuff as you smirked triumphantly.

"Uh, Mienai-san?"

You jumped five feet in the air as a voice spoke behind you with no warning, shrieking in a very ladylike way as you did. It was lucky your classmates were nowhere to be seen, or they would have came to the conclusion a violent murder was going down in the kitchen.

Way to keep your cool, future pro hero.

"M-m-midoriya-kun! Don't scare me like that!"

Midoriya rubbed his neck nervously, seemingly rattled from your banshee scream. "Sorry Mienai-san."

You gulped and waved away his apology. "I-it's okay. Did you need something?"

The boy sighed. "I just thought I should tell you I don't need your help with Uraraka-san any more."

Your heart sank straight to your feet. Whatever you had expected him to say, that wasn't it. "Why?"

"Well, I, um, told Uraraka how I feel. She turned me down."

You gasped in disbelief. "What?!"

Midoriya nodded sadly. "Said she already liked someone else. I appreciate your help though."

You nodded. You wanted to console the poor boy over his rejection but you didn't known him like that and things would've got real awkward, real fast.

"Speaking of Uraraka, have you seen her?" A subtle subject change was in order, an awkward atmosphere rapidly building.

The brocolli boy shook his head. "Not for a while now that I think about. Maybe she went up to her room to study after dinner?"

"Oh, okay. Thanks." You turned and walked away. You hadn't seen Uraraka since you had gotten back from the cat cafe, she'd disappeared instantly. Wait, was your best friend avoiding you? You shook your head to clear that thread of thought as soon as it began to sprout, she wasn't like that. Probably just busy, right?

You hurried back to Mina's room. As you approached it, you could hear what sounded like three voices whispering frantically.

Mina and Kami are really that loud, huh?

Suddenly the bag of popcorn fell out of your hand with a soft thud and rustle of plastic, and the room before you fell silent. Cursing quietly, you picked it back up quickly and gingerly opened the door, to which Kaminari and Mina were sitting exactly where you left them.

"Thanks bby!" Mina sang as you tossed the bag into her arms, plonking yourself down on a free beanbag. Mina then fired the bag at Kaminari, muttering a soft "yeet!".

While you sank into the comfy cloud of fabric, Mina scooted her beanbag closer to you. She leaned forward and grasped your hands in hers. "So tell us, what is it that you like about Uraraka? Prove to us that you're worth helping." Her face softened and you could see sparkles in her onyx eyes. "I don't just match people together for fun after all."

Kaminari glanced over with an incredulous look at the pink skinned girl. "Pffft, coulda fooled me."

"Zip it or go to Flex Tape about your gal problems from now on." Mina warned, waggling a finger threateningly.

"Zipping it."

Mina and Kaminari fell into silence, giving you time to collect your thoughts. You closed your eyes and attempted to still your thundering heart. Mina was your closest friend, barr Uraraka, but it still sent your anxiety levels sky-high talking about something so personal.

"Uraraka's an amazing person. She's strong, brave and... really cute."

"Her determination and love for her family is unbelievable. She's such an inspiration, always battling through any obstacle with ease and an optimistic attitude."

"Whenever we touch, I feel sparks and butterflies dance in my stomach. She's always on my mind. Just thinking about her gives me that warm fuzzy feeling."

"She was my first friend when I came to UA. For some reason, she stuck around. She's my best friend in the whole world. But there's no way she actually likes me. She probably just thinks of me as a friend, nothing more."

"I-I think that I really really like her. It's scary. And it's breaking my heart. I can't take it anymore." Your lips trembled, and your eyes burned as you tried keep your tears at bay. You hadn't realized until now the effect keeping your feelings secret had tolled on you.

There was silence. As your friends looked deep in thought, you closed your eyes again. It felt relieving to get this all off your chest but you couldn't help but feel somewhat exposed. You gnawed your lip anxiously.

"In that case..." Mina cleared her throat and looked back to her giant wardrobe as she spoke again.

"You can come out now, Uraraka."

- 🌸 -

AUTHOR'S NOTE/S╰▸ @ if y'all saw that coming then i'm sorry 😔✌️ ︿︿،،  🌙