Love & Basketball

"What are you doing?" The art teacher came behind her and gaped at her painting.

"You swish and flick. Swish and FLICK," Mrs. Maraj stressed, but Beyoncé merely rolled her eyes as she dragged the paintbrush down the canvas, creating long, neat strokes. She clearly was not swishing and flicking.

Beyoncé giggled with the rest of the class. It was funny when Mrs. Maraj got mad.

Veins she hadn't already glimpsed were now present on Mrs. Maraj's neck which only made the predicament funnier. She loved how she was able to aggravate the small woman as effortlessly as she could sink a three. Well used to.

"Do you understand why you are in this class?" The art teacher questioned as she took a seat on Beyoncé's work desk. She then gave her a dissatisfied stare.

Beyoncé looked around nervously as a silent Onika waited. Finally, she answered with a small, "Yes." Beyoncé raised her weak hand. It was heavily concealed in scar tissue and looked as if it had been through hell and back...literally.

*Momentary pause*

"All net baby!" Beyoncé grinned as she scored herself another basket

"All net baby!" Beyoncé grinned as she scored herself another basket. Kelly, her best friend, scowled and threw the ball back to her hard.

She caught it easily and gave her one of her best smiles before she pounded the blacktop and skillfully completed a layup.

"Two out of three," she said.

Beyoncé consented and then put her hand on Kelly's shoulder as if she was comforting her, "But... when I win.. you're buying me Popeye's."

"Eww, you're so ugly!" They laughed as Kelly shoved the budding basketball star away.

"When I WIN," she gave emphasis to herself by making a halo around her body with her claws, sorry Stiletto acrylics, "you're taking me shopping."

Beyoncé despised shopping. She'd rather do it online than have people watch her pick out what shit she liked to buy. Kelly held out her hand. "Fucking deal, " The athletes spat and shook.

Beyonce walked through the hedges that encompassed the park until she reached the bench they left their things at and grabbed them two bottled waters. They would need it for the next session since they both were incredibly talented and played hard.

 They would need it for the next session since they both were incredibly talented and played hard

"Help! Help! She's still in there, " Someone shouted.

Who?

Beyoncé ran as fast as could towards the cry for help. She passed the basketball court but Kelly wasn't there.

She figured that Kelly probably went to help too. As Beyonce neared the cry she stopped quickly, the soles of her feet burned against the tennis shoes from all the friction, but she didn't care.

A corner store had caught on fire. The heat that radiated from it made her eyes sting and the smoke burn her nose.

A brown-skinned man with thick dreads that were pulled tightly back, stood outside with his young daughter. They both were crying but he was flipping out, "There's someone in there! My wife and a girl are in there!" He screamed.

A girl.

"It's okay, sir. I'm going to help you. Everything will be alright." She smiled at the little girl and bent down in front of her.

"Is my mommy going to be okay?" The little girl asked.

"Yes, of course, she will. Be right back okay?"

"Okay."

Standing up the athlete borrowed the man's bandanna and wet it with water, then she covered my nose and surged into the burning store.

"Hey! Yell for me! Who's in here?" She yelled from behind the cloth.

Someone screamed from the kitchen in the back. Running to it Bey skidded to stop. The wife was kneeling over a limp body crying.

"Hey? Hey, come here. Let me get you out of here. I'll come back for them okay?" she looked up and Beyonce winced. She felt the pain that swam in the woman's eyes.

She nodded and slowly got up and walked to her. Ash and burning wood fell from the ceiling like snow in winter.

"We don't have much time! Come on!" Beyonce felt bad but she manhandled her out of the store and into the husband and little girl's arms.

Surging back in she wiped the sweat that dripped down her forehead.

Screams came from the back but when she checked there was no one there. "Please tell me where you are!"

Strangled screams replied as an answer. The poor woman wasn't even able to form proper sentences.

Then she saw her. Kelly.

Her face was twisted up in pain, as she continued to scream out. Her terrified eyes looked into mine as she shook violently.

Blood poured from her lips and she seemed to be on the verge of passing out or even worse...death.

Beyonce cried as she ran up to her, "Kelly No! This isn't happening!" she sobbed. Her hands shook in fear for her best friend.

A big support beam caught on fire and had fell on her. Beyonce needed to get her out of there. There was only one way. She didn't think twice as she grabbed Kelly's waist with her right hand and pushed against the burning beam with her left. Her hand was ablaze as she cried out in pain, before dropping it, Kelly In her arms.

Her whole midsection and the bottom of her chest was covered In blood as they screamed in pain. Both of them screaming in agony could be heard blocks away.

Beyonce cradled Kelly with her free hand and rocked back and forth as she screamed for her hand and for Kelly.

"Stay Awake!" Kelly's eyes had closed. She probably passed out from the pain but Beyonce didn't want to be wrong and Kelly die. Kelly's eyes fluttered open but closed tightly at the pain.

Beyonce was still screaming when she realized Kelly had stopped. In fact she had stopped writhing and her eyes had stopped fluttering too.

"No, no! This can't happen." She rocked her bestfriend back and forth as she cried into her neck.

________

"Then act like it!" Mrs. Maraj snapped.

"Fuck you!" Beyonce screamed. The memories of her best friend's death was fresh in her mind and Mrs. Maraj only added fuel to the fire. To her pain.

"Fuck you! You don't know what Its like to go through what I went through!"

Everyone was silent as they stared at a teary Beyonce. The former star co-captain.

"My best friend died. Let me live!" Mrs. Maraj was shocked. Beyonce was goofy but never this. Beyonce got up and grabbed her book bag before storming out. Everyone looked at the teacher in surprise, trying to see what she was going to do.

______________________

Merry Christmas! I hope you guys had a good one!

This was supposed to be the first chapter in a book but I decided to just post it as a one shot.

Thoughts?

Vote/Comment. ❤❤

-ME