Heiress

Onika sat as still as a statue, her posture perfect as she observes the forest scenery from the built in window in the carriage. Her fingers pushed back the curtain in such a way so that she could look and still stay hidden.

"Princess, the duke wanted me to give you this before you arrive," her handmaiden announced. She still looked outside seeing the pretty flowers and vines curl up trees and how the branches seemed to bend downwards to touch them. Onika turned towards her maid her cold eyes giving the envelope stamped with red wax a once over. She held her hand out curiosity grabbing her attention like a candy to a child.

The maid placed it in her hand and bowed her head as a sign of respect. The princess removed the waxy stamp its ridges and soft texture exciting her fingers as she pulled the paper out. It was good paper, thick and the color of aged yellow. His scrawl was easily identifiable, the huge letters making it easy for her to read.

Onika,

I'm writing this by the candle light. It burns just as bright as my heart burns for you. The moonlight doesn't compare to your eyes, the roses in my garden can't compete with your beauty.

                                                  Love,

                                                         Christopher, duke of  Roman

"He tries to flatter me," Onika chuckled. Her handmaiden  gave a simple nod. Even the princess's laugh lacked emotion. Kelly had been taking care of Onika since she was 15 years old herself and now that she was thirty and wiser she pitied the girl. She had no proper child hood. She was already to be married to a 32 year old and it was probably a lot to deal with internally.

The horses stopped as the carriage dropped on one side. "What has happened?" Onika called out. No one answered only a strangled yell came from their driver then a thud against the ground.

"Thieves!" Kelly hissed. She took a knife that was strapped to her thigh and pushed Onika behind her.

"Hide underneath the seat!" she made sure the princess was hidden though it was a hard job with her poofy dress and waited. Kelly held the knife in a white knuckled grip,  licking her lips from the nerves she felt.

She expected the the thieves to enter through the doors not a figure dressed in black to pass through the ceiling arms crossed and pressed into his chest.

With the element of surprise the person hit Kelly in her head with his elbow.

Kelly fell back and hit the back of the chair. She got up and swung the knife violently. It sunk deep in the thief's arm but they only groaned. They grabbed Kelly by her neck and slammed her down onto the carriage floor. He got on top of her began to squeeze.

The tiny scream Onika let out made him cock his head for it again. This gave Kelly enough time to knee him in the crotch and throw him over her head with her legs. Her dress swung wildly as she stood up stumbling a bit from exhaustion.

"Leave!" she croaked but the thief only charged at her tackling her to the ground and hitting her over and over again. Her face was a bloody mess when she finally closed her eyes.

The guy scanned the carriage for the princess but she was nowhere to be found. Onika held her breath as she stared with a frightened fascination at the criminal.

He looked around until he eyed the seat. Why didn't she just leave? This was the only place one could hide. Of course he would look there. He bent down and pushed back the curtains. Once he saw her she screamed. The heiress expected him to pull her out my her hair and maybe do her like he did her hand maid but he gently grabbed her by the waist and removed her from her cramped situation.

"Unhand me! Unhand me!" she screamed. Why had she insisted on no knights?  He didn't listen carrying her bridal style out of the carriage.

They were still in the forest surrounded by trees. Of course her driver didn't see him. The shadows were perfect for hiding in pure daylight. A lone brown horse with milky white patches pawed the ground and grunted in impatience. The thief placed the girl on on the horse and bound her hands together with twine from its satchel, that hung over its body.

"I'm sorry about this," they spoke. It was a woman's voice and it was sincere. The shock on her face only lasted for a moment before the thief reared her fist back and hit Onika in the temple. Darkness washed over her and she fell into unconsciousness quickly, her head hitting the thick, bulging neck of the horse.

HAPPY NEW YEARS! 2020!

Thoughts?

Who was the thief?

Onika?

What about the duke?

Kelly?

I wanted this to be a book but I decided to give y'all a little teaser.

Should this be a book?

Vote, comment, follow💜

Share! Pick one person or more to send this to in your PM's!