Flying Fast and Falling Faster

"Whoo okay." you removed your coat from your shoulders as the cold of the wind fluttered your hair left and right. "I can... I probably can do this."

Keep a level head, Eva.

"Yeah well, Cap," You grumbled glancing over the edge of the tower. ", you're not the one about to dive off a building."

Cap softly laughed in your earpiece.

You're right I'm not. But I also can't turn into any bird of my choice mid-air.

"Yeah and I can't throw a frisbee like you, what's your point?"

My point is, Eva, that you know this course better than anyone. You helped design it, you worked through the whole thing thousands of times. Just do your best, that's all we ask.

"Yeah. Let's just skip off the roof to my greatest ability." Your hands began to twitch at the thought of what was before you. "No problem."

Eva...

Don't get it wrong, no matter how nervous you appeared on the outside or how much your hands trembled with slight fear, you, without hesitation, were so eager to jump off this building. The thrill of the wind and the mystery of what lay beyond the fog awoke animal instincts that you never felt before and that excited you in a way nothing else ever could. But you were still... you know.. diving off a skyscraper. So there was that.

You sighed pressing your hands together to stop them from quaking. "I'm sorry, Cap. I don't mean to be snarky. I'm just a little nervous. If I get this wrong-"

Hey hey, don't apologize. I get it. This is a lot. You don't have to worry. I know Fury will love you. But if you need... I can get Tony up here and he can-

"Don't you dare." You growled at him quietly, a bit more wolf-like than you would have preferred.

He laughed amused by his knowledge of what motivated you.

I'm kidding I'm kidding. Promise.

You shook your head, giggling sweetly. "You know I don't think that's funny. Tony would throw a hissy fit if he knew this is how I trained."

I'm just trying to provoke you, kid. Don't worry. I don't want Tony involved as much as you do.

You rolled your eyes stretching out your arms.

Just trust yourself and get ready, E. I'm having Banner start the protocol. Stay on the line.

Silence followed as you were put on mute and cap ordered others around.

This would be it. One last extreme training exercise and you could go on missions with the others. Fight whatever goons they find and finally, finally, do something good. Cap was watching in the training room, Nat was watching who knows where, and Bruce held it down in the lab. The course was set, your powers were being tested and you felt like you had jumped into your own personal hell with a gigantic splash.

Stark has handed off all the technology stuff to Bruce as he had to work most of the time. So with that freedom, Cap and Nat pushed you to extremes that you could never even imagine. Tony, is his self-proclaimed genius, had gifted you with drones topped with expensive cameras and tracking maneuvers that were ready to follow you. And with the use of these tools and the video, they would send it to Fury. And if he approved, which they were all extremely confident he would even if you were scared out of your mind, you would finally be able to stand in the public eye with your friends as a hero, not a freak of nature that some news outlets claimed to say robbed a bank.

"Alright." You soothed yourself as your shakiness dyed down. "Alright."

Eva, are you there?