03

Keith was on his second glass of water and Jess hadn't walked in yet. He loosened his tie and relaxed a bit. She wasn't late yet and he was just early. He was early and nervous and it was his first date. He wondered if he was supposed to bring flowers, but Jess didn't seem like the kind of girl to like that kind of stuff. Keith tapped the table in anticipation. As his thoughts spun around his head, Jess walked in.

He knew it was her by the sound of her footsteps.

"You're early."

He looked up at her and smiled.

"How could I not be? This place is a five minute jog from my place."

Jess went to sit at the table. "Really. Maybe we should have chosen somewhere a bit more far. I should have made it a bit more difficult for you." She teased.

Keith watched as she scoured the menu. She wore a black turtleneck with high waisted blue pants. Keith especially liked her red lipstick. It fit her face and personality, and he didn't realize he was staring until she snapped in front of his face.

"Oh, sorry. I was just- you know- nevermind." No excuse seemed to make sense. It didn't seem to matter because Jess seemed flattered.

"You were staring. And I was going to ask if you'd ever been here since it was so close." She closed her menu and made eye contact.

Keith's face got hot all over again. "Nope. This place is nice and all, but it replaced this dope ass soul food place with the best corn bread."

Jess cocked her head to the side. "Really? What happened? Did the owners leave town or..."

Keith shook his head. "More like the owner of this place offered a price that would put them out of debt and pay a few months of rent. Which sucks, but that's the way life goes." He waited for her response, but this time Jess was caught staring. She was watching the way his lips moved, the way his eyes flickered around the room, as if nothing had his permanent attention. Keith cleared his throat. "So... what are you ordering?"

Jess jumped. "Oh, I was gonna get the caesar salad and water."

Keith rolled his eyes playfully. "What you should do is share a steak with me. I don't think I could finish it on my own."

Jess crossed her arms over her chest. "A steak? Are you kidding? That's the best offer I've been given all day."

Keith smiled. "Sounds like a plan."

"I hate the Patriots, dear God. All their fans are cocky and spoiled brats." Jess cried, leaning back in her chair.

"I don't like them either. All I'm saying is that they have a good thing going on there in New England. You have to respect it." Keith held his hands up in defense.

Jess jokingly threw a straw wrapper at him. "Shut up, okay. I am a solid Giants fan. Ride or die. Odell or no Odell."

At that, Keith snickered. "Giants? Jess, when was the last time you guys won a Superbowl. I don't meet to brag, but the 49ers have 5 Superbowl championships."

Jess gasped. "This date is over. Absolutely over. I cannot date a man who thinks the 49ers are something to support."

Keith's eyes widened. "Maybe this date is over, Jess. I hope your Giants lose every game this season.

"They're already doing that, thank you very much."

The two of them laughed loudly. Keith was feeling a bit warm from the glasses of wine he had. Drinking always made him less nervous and tongue tied and bit more charming. It didn't help that Jess was just as charming with and without the wine. She had an intoxicating aura.

Just as Jess opened her mouth to speak again, her phone buzzed. It had been going off for the past half hour, but she had ignored it.

"Maybe you should check your phone. It could be an emergency." Keith offered.

Jess shook her head. "It's rude. We're having a good time."

Keith chuckled. "I promise I won't take offense if you pick up this one phone call. I'll go ask for our bill if it makes you feel better."

"Fine. Now go before I feel guilty." Jess waved him off.

When Keith returned to their table, Jess was gone. A message had been written on the napkin across from her.

You were right. An emergency. I promise I'll make up for this.

-Jess

Keith looked down at the hefty bill. This place was a bit out of his budget, but he was hoping they'd be able to split the cost. He sighed and pulled out his card.