10

They didn't speak for a while. Jess was fuming. Keith was insecure. Both were hurt.

He wished he hadn't said anything. He wished he had kept his words to himself but it was too late for all of that now. Now, lying alone in his bed, he wished Jess was beside him. So, he did the adult thing and called her.

It went to voicemail at first. Jess was petty, and she was going to make him work for it. Keith called again, and for the second time, it went to voicemail.

"Hey Jess, it's me, Keith. And I want to apologize. I am the biggest idiot for assuming that you are cheating on me. There's no way you would purposely try and hurt me, not with the amount of time and care you put into our relationship. So when you get this, call me back. I miss you and I love you."

He left that voicemail and went back to staring at his ceiling. But, when that got boring, Keith sat up and grabbed his keys. It was late so he knew that there was nothing Jess was really doing. He guessed she was either making dinner or eating dinner while watching some corny movie. Either way, he was going to show up.

Jess was pouting when Keith arrived. The apartment felt lonely without him, and she now hated eating dinner alone though she had done it for so many years. There was freezer pizza in the oven and its smell was starting to waft through the apartment. She was on her way to check on it when her bell rang. Somehow she knew exactly who it was.

"Hi."

"Hi, I called."

"I know. I heard your message." She shifted her feet.

"I'm sorry. I should have supported you better instead of accusing you of cheating on me."

"I should have made more time for you and expressed that I was struggling instead of expecting you to read my mind."

They both paused.

"Do you want to come in?"

"Of course I want to come in." Keith didn't hesitate to step right inside. "Pizza?"

Jess hummed. "Are you gonna stay for a bite?"

Keith gave her a look. "Jess, I am staying and I am not gonna leave for a long time."

Somehow she knew that he wasn't just talking about the pizza.