11

Jess didn't hate animals. She just hated their smell. To be honest, she'll blame her childhood when a dog attacked her in the park. Ever since then, she's remained far away from all four-legged beasts. She honestly didn't think she was missing anything anyway.

Keith liked animals. A lot. He had always wanted a dog of his own when he had his own apartment. Honestly, life moved so quickly that he had forgotten about that little dream of his until he saw a dog in the park while on a walk with Jess.

"We should get a dog."

Jess said nothing. She pretended as if she did not hear him.

"Don't tell me you hate dogs."

Jess raised her arms in defense. "I do not hate dogs. I think they're fine."

Keith pointed an accusing finger. "You totally hate dogs. What the heck. Have you no soul?"

Jess rolled her eyes. "So I don't prefer having a slobbery, ball of hair around me. Does that make me a criminal?"

Keith shook his head. "No, but it does break my heart a bit."

Jess sucked her teeth. "I can't with you."

Keith persisted. "What if we got a cat? Or a rabbit. Rabbits are cute."

Jess shrugged. "I literally don't care what we get. We can get a pet snake and I would still not give a damn."

A light flickered behind Keith's eyes. Jess didn't like the mischievous look but she said nothing about it.

When she came home from work the next day, there was a snake in a cage in their living room.

"Surprise! His name is Prince."

Jess couldn't help but laugh.