34 | IRL

t o m

I knock lightly on the door, and open it slowly. Closing the door behind me, I come over to sit on the edge of the bed.

She doesn't say anything, and I can't see her at first in the dark of the room until my eyes adjust. She's sitting up against the headboard of the bed, her knees pulled up into her chest.

"Hey, Lenn," I offer softly. She lifts her head, but doesn't say anything. "Can I turn on the lights?"

There's a short pause, and then Lennon nods. I teach over and flicking the light on the nightstand.

Her hair is disheveled and she looks tired, but there's no sign that she's been crying. She's been trying to stay strong, I'm guessing. Cautiously, I scoot closer and sit next to her. She still doesn't speak.

"You okay?"

Lennon swallows, and there's another silence. Finally, she answers in a small voice. "I guess."

"You've been reading too many posts," I say gently, reaching over and taking her phone from next to her.

"Maybe I have."

"Yes, you have," I answer.

"It's not true, you know."

Looking over, I cock my head to the side. "What isn't?"

"I'm not using you for fame." She hides her face.

My mouth drops open. "Lennon, of course I know you're not."

"Are you sure?" she asks. "I'm just so embarrassed. That was never my intent when I first messaged you."

I sigh. "Those fans know nothing about you, Lenn. Even if you were trying to use me for fame, it wouldn't have mattered, because you got the role without me even saying anything."

She lifts her head, surprise evident in her eyes. "It's true," I go on. "You know, before you came in for your audition, they were already raving about you. They were talking about how they had seen you in Nashville, and how one of the scenes had made them cry, and how they had really hoped you'd auditioned for the role. And they talked about how you had killed your first couple auditions. I didn't know it was you until you came into the room, so I thought they were referring to Nashville, the city."

There's a small chuckle from Lennon, and I smile as I continue. "After you came in, they all said they were sold. Of course, they had to watch everyone else just in case, but they had basically made their decision already. I didn't even have to say anything. But I was star struck along with them."

I turn to her earnestly. "There's no doubt in anyone's mind about you. The directors, the casting directors, the producers, and even the rest of the cast. The fans haven't seen you yet, but I know they'll have their minds changed as soon as they get to see what you can do."

"Really?" she asks, still unsure.

"Of course."

Lennon sits silently for a while, before looking back at me. "Thanks, Tom. I needed that."

"Of course, Lenn. You deserve to know." I sling an arm around her shoulder and pull her in for a hug. She leans her head against my chest, sighing.

After we pull away, I smile. She wipes away a few tears, returning the smile.

"Well, I guess I should probably let you rest. Jacob's coming tomorrow, and I have my last day of filming, so I gotta get up early."

Lennon's eyes light up. "He's coming tomorrow?"

I nod, grinning. "I can't wait. The squad will all be back together."

"And yeah, go get some sleep," she says, "Have fun tomorrow."

"Thanks." Scooting off the bed, I head for the door and pause as I step out into the hallway. "Goodnight, Lenn."

"Goodnight, Tom. Thank you, again. I really appreciate it." She smiles, adding, "And you."

There's something in my heart that twitches as I smile back, nodding as I turn away to close her door.

:

:

:

:

:

LOOK AT ME UPDATING EVERY DAY WOW IM ON A ROLL (and then when school starts i'm gonna ghost again HAHA)