Chapter One: Huan's Eyebrow Ring

Years have passed since Mulan's talk about her future with Kuvira. Plenty has happened since then; Kuvira and Baatar confessed their feeling to one another and started dating. However, they kept this a secret from his parents, not knowing how Suyin would react to his eldest and her ward going out. Huan, the middle child, became more interested in art and started making sculptures out of metal that became his way of expressing himself. Wing and Wei, who just turned six years old, had a knack for sports, spirits above bless Suyin and Baatar for not losing their minds with the twins' constant games. The youngest daughter, Opal, just became one of the rookie members of the Zaofu Dance Troupe, despite being a non-bender. Her older sister encouraged her to try out and have fun with their incredible culture.

What happened to Mulan, you might ask? She continued to train her bending abilities. After her talk with Kuvira that night, it dawned upon her that she wanted to go out and see the world and help others that are in need, that she was just stuck inside her bubble here in Zaofu and that may be fresh new faces and experiences may help her decide what she really wants.

And how will she do all of that?

Tonight is the night that she will tell them. Finally worked up the courage to tell her family about her plan to enlist in the United Forces. She knows they will protest against it, but she knows that being in the military would do great for herself.

Everyone has already taken their seat on their respective chairs in the grand dining room. Even the Beifong matriarch, Toph, tried to sit still, as per the request of her daughter to behave while at the table.

"It's so nice to have everyone here for dinner. This is one of the things that we should thank for in our lives." Suyin cleared her voice, and her eyes gleamed at the sight of her family altogether.

"Aunt Lin isn't here." Baatar Jr. chided in, casually eating his roast duck beside Kuvira.

"Well... it's her choice, to be honest. I did send her an invitation, which she ignored..." Suyin awkwardly answered. She cleared her throat and continued her speech, "At least everyone here is happy and safe from all harm—" she got cut off.

"Wing and Wei hit me with one of their foil balls!" Opal shouts, glaring at the twins.

"It was an accident!" Wing defended his and Wei's actions.

"Yeah! And how would we know you were standing behind that bush!" Wei retorted.

"AND IT'S CALLED POWER DISC, AND WE'RE STILL WORKING ON IT!" The two shout at Opal. The three continued glaring at each other until Suyin had to separate them from each other.

"You three-stop that! This is the time to be thanking not fighting." Suyin scolded the three.

"Then, I thank Baatar for calling my art stupid!" Huan interjected, glaring at his older brother.

"What you made are just blobs of bent metals! They don't mean anything!" Baatar retorted.

"IT REFLECTS MY INDIVIDUALITY!"

Everyone then started fighting with one another. The only ones who are not are Mulan and Kuvira. Suyin and Baatar Sr. were both trying to stop their children from ruining another dinner with their fights. Toph, without a care in the world, started chanting, "FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!"

"Hey, Mom! Dad! Did you know that... BAATAR AND KUVIRA ARE DATING!" Huan calls them out loud in rage.

"What?!" Both parents were shocked by the news.

"You are such a tattletale!" Baatar Jr. retorted in a 5-year old's tone. "I was supposed to tell them!" He looks at his parents and clears his throat. "Mom, Dad, I'm dating Kuvira."