Chapter 2: Meeting Aunt Lin

Mulan couldn't contain her excitement. After a week of avoiding her parents' persuasions, the day had finally come when she would go to Republic City to enlist in the United Forces Academy.

Everyone from the United Forces was trained to be a proper soldier. It was established by the Former Fire Lady Kaori, who honored her father, a Fire Nation General who rebelled against the tyrant Fire Lord Ozaimost. She wanted people to protect all nations, regardless of race and bending abilities, in the absence of the Avatar. Next to Republic City, this was a place where everyone, benders, and non-benders, united to fulfill their duty of serving all nations.

And she would finally be one of them.

"Are you sure you don't want to stay here in Zaofu?" Suyin tried to persuade her daughter. She did everything she could to make her stay back in Zaofu, but her mother's words did not sway Mulan. She thought her mother would understand her not to stay at home to get what she truly desires, for she was once in her shoes.

"Mom, for the 28th time, I already made up my mind. I'll be joining the United Forces." Mulan groaned, getting tired of her mother's antics. She then realized her harsh words and let out a sigh, "I promise to visit as much as I can if allowed." She wrapped her arms around her mother in a hug. Albeit, she has to admit she will miss Zaofu while she's gone.

Suyin hesitantly let go of her eldest daughter; she would be the first of her children to leave Zaofu independently. She wondered if her mother felt anything like this when she was forced to leave Republic City not to cause any more trouble and anger her sister.

Toph went up to her granddaughter next, "When you reach Republic City, find your Aunt Lin. She'll assist you until you're already in the academy." She reminded her. Mulan then went in to hug her, leaning down a bit to reach her grandmother's height. The oldest Beifong smiled as she reciprocated the hug. "I'm going to miss your spunk, kid."

"I'm going to miss your sass too, Grandma." Mulan let go of her with a sad smile. She was close to her grandmother, back when her parents were still starting to develop Zaofu into the glorious city it is, Toph was the one who took care of her and Baatar Jr. The oldest boy was a quiet kid and didn't need too much help with things, but Mulan was just a newborn. Irritated by the circumstances of watching over kids, Toph won't admit it, but she did not regret making up with her daughter, for she wouldn't be able to meet her grandchildren.

"Be careful out there. Follow the rules. Listen to what your commanding—" Mulan cut off her dad with a hug.

"I'll be fine. Everything's going to be alright. I can handle myself." She reassured him. Knowing him, he'll probably freak out as soon as Mulan boards the blimp to Republic City.

"I know you can." Baatar Sr. chuckles, letting her go as she continues saying her goodbyes to her family. He stepped aside to be with his wife, who did her best not to cry in front of her children, and her mother, too, who would probably tease her later for worrying too much.

Mulan then went up to where Baatar and Kuvira were. Baatar grunted as he hugged her. "I still don't approve of you joining the military,"

"Yeah, well, I don't give a damn." She replied; he gave her a pointed look, and she sighed. "I'll be fine, Baatar. No need to worry about me." Mulan let go of him and hugged Kuvira.

"Don't do anything stupid until I come back?" She jokingly said to her.

"How can I? You're taking all the stupidness with you." Kuvira chuckles, letting go of the hug.

Mulan walked over to her younger siblings; they were huddled at the back of the group. "Hey guys, I know I'll be leaving soon, but I promise to visit as much as I can." She smiled, "Huan, continue making art. Express yourself to the world in a unique way. Wing, Wei, please don't annoy your brothers and sister too much, and when I come back, you better teach me how to play power disc. Opal, don't fight with your brothers too much, and listen to Mom." She pulled all of them into a hug, "I'm going to miss you all."

The three youngest started crying, wrapping their arms around their older sister.

"Big sis, don't go!" The twins wailed, burying their faces on her shirt.

"I promise not to fight with Wing and Wei! Just don't leave us." Opal sobs.

"I'm not leaving you guys forever." She chuckled. "I'm just going on an adventure, the ones like Grandma Toph told us. I promise to come back as much as I can."

"We'll miss you, Big Sis!"

"And I'll miss you all too."

With that, she let go of her siblings and picked up her bag filled with everything she would need. She did not pack much, and she guessed that the United Forces Academy wouldn't like it if she were to bring everything with her.

Turning back around to face her family, she waved at them one last time before turning around to enter the blip waiting for her. 

Mulan guessed her grandmother did not inform her aunt about her arrival as she now awkwardly stands in the Chief of Police's office watching said Chief angrily muttering curses to her mother and sister

Lin Beifong was just signing paperwork in her office when one of her officers knocked on her door, telling her someone was looking for her. She expected some snobby wealthy business person complaining about something insignificant. She did not expect to see her niece for the first time. Lin didn't even know she had any niece or nephew, not wanting to do anything with her family.

"So, wait... you're telling me that you're one of Suyin's brats, and Mom told you to come to find me so you can enter the United Forces?" Lin still can't believe it. After years of not talking to one another, her mother and sister suddenly dumped a kid on her who wanted to join the United Forces.

"Yes. I know it sounds ridiculous how I left my life back in Zaofu and that it's stupid and dangerous to join the—" Mulan got cut off by her aunt.

"Ridiculous doesn't even begin with it! What you did is irrational and reckless. And— why am I even saying these things? You're not even my kid." Lin groans as she massages her temple. What did she do in her past life to deserve any of this, going through a bad breakup with her ex-boyfriend who impregnated another woman, and now this? She couldn't believe how unlucky she was.

"I promise I won't be a burden to you, Aunt Lin." Mulan tried her best to calm her down.

"Do not call me that!" Lin snapped at her. "You'll address me as Chief Beifong." She didn't mean to snap at her niece; she was just overwhelmed by everything that was happening.

"You won't even notice I'm here. After I enlisted in the United Forces Academy, I'll be out of your hair. I promise." Mulan pleaded, not wanting to anger her aunt any longer. She doesn't know why Lin was estranged from the rest of the family, but there must be a reason. Her mother and grandmother would just say that her sister was overreacting, but she didn't want to be too nosey about this family issue.

"Hopefully, you're not as troublesome as your mother," Lin grumbles, turning around to face her. "Fine, you can stay here while you complete your training for the United Forces. Only if you stay away from trouble, or else I'll send you back to your mother's!"

Ecstatic by her aunt finally accepting to take her in during her stay training for the United Forces, Mulan wanted to hug her but refrained from doing so. She guessed that her aunt wasn't a big fan of physical contact, especially from someone she had just met. "I won't let you down, Aunt— I mean Chief Beifong." Mulan saluted her with her left hand.

Lin raised her eyebrow at her and scoffed. "Wrong arm, kid."