Chapter 3: Box of Donuts

Living with her aunt for almost a week was an experience for Mulan. She had people helping her do things all her life, but it's everyone for themselves here in Republic City. She remembered the sermon she received from Lin when her aunt had found out that she did not know how to cook or clean. Lin couldn't believe that her sister babied her children too much to the point that they did not even know how to do basic chores.

Mulan was then forced to cook and clean for herself; Lin quickly scolded her whenever she messed up. But Mulan accepted every harsh critic from her aunt. She understands that she wouldn't survive a day on her own if she remained ignorant about the basics of living by herself.

She then repaid her aunt with paperwork while she patrolled around the city. Lin was hesitant at first but let her do what she wanted when she explained that she also used to do her mother's paperwork to lighten her load. The kid might be useless in chores, but she's very detailed when doing paperwork. She wondered what Suyin must have fed to her to know how to do things like this at a young age.

Lin even introduced her to Bumi, Avatar Aang, and Master Katara's first-born son, a commander of the United Forces. Meeting the eccentric man was a bit... bizarre to Mulan.

.

.

.

Mulan opened the door to her aunt's office. She had just finished another stack of paperwork in an empty interrogation room in the precinct when one of the beat cop officers called her, saying that her aunt wanted to talk to her about something. Once inside, she saw her aunt grumbling as a middle-aged man laughed at something he said.

Lin looked up from her desk and saw her; she quickly introduced her to him, wanting him gone from her office as soon as possible. "Mulan, I want you to meet Commander Bumi of the United Forces. Bumi, this is Mulan, one of Suyin's brats."

Mulan bowed in respect. "It's so nice to meet you, Commander Bumi. I heard all of the—" The said man cut her off as he stood up and walked up to her.

"Wow, your Lil Su's kid! Tell me, is she still like an edgy kid like before?" Bumi picks her up, letting Mulan dangle mid-air.

"U-Umm... yeah, I'm one of my mom's kids. The second oldest of us siblings. Ugh... I do not know how to answer your question." Mulan awkwardly answered, not knowing what to do.

She heard Lin grumbling at the side. "Bumi put her down." She ordered, which he reluctantly followed.

After setting Mulan down, he composes himself. "Okay, okay, it's time to be serious. What may I help you with, Lin? Perhaps, troubles with my dear baby brother?" He said to her with a strained straight face, probably trying to contain his laughter.

She ignored his words and went straight to the point. "I'm not here for me. I'm here for this brat. Mom dumped her to me so she could enter the United Forces. Fortunately for us, we have inside sources so that I wouldn't trouble myself with any of this."

"Hmm, I appreciate you Beifongs thinking of me as a special source of connections." Bumi laughed but quickly stopped when he saw she didn't have it. "So, you want to be one with the Force?" Bumi asks Mulan.

Mulan perked up and nodded her head. "Yes, Commander Bumi, Sir. I've wanted to ever since I was 10." She didn't know if she should add to her realization but withhold it since she thought Bumi was not the kind of man to listen to anything about the past, just the present.

"It's not easy being a military officer. Especially if you are a woman." He warned her. At his words, Lin looked up from her spot on her chair and raised an eyebrow at him, daring Bumi to choose his words wisely.