▪️grey cauldron ▪️

"Oh my dearest!" Yokozawa embraced Daichi and practically squeezed the light out of him. His strong arms wrapped around Daichi like pythons, but the other didn't mind. His head was still buzzing from everything that had happened. "Yukio told us the prince took you! Are you okay? Did he harm you?"

"I'm fine, I'm sorry I made you worry..." Daichi apologized, he felt Yokozawa relax and was soon released from his grip. Daichi told him about what happened, how he stood up to the clerk and those women, how he and the prince spared, how he ate dinner at the castle - Sugawara didn't put a finger on him.

"I understand, I would have done the same. I'm glad you're okay, c'mon, get on the cart we are going home" Yokozawa smiled at Daichi, still being unable to shake off the thought that something might have happened and Daichi is simply hiding it.

But nothing happened. Daichi genuinely ate a good dinner and was driven back to the town. Sugawara was even kind enough to invite him once again, telling him about his interest in Daichi and life from where he is from. Daichi saw first hand how cruel he is, but something was hiding under the initial picture and he was determined to find out what.

If his touch can heal, then perhaps the curse is wearing off.

Daichi thought about his next set of actions all night, falling asleep only by sunrise and sleeping for only a few hours. A sudden energy boost, or as some would say "the body's last HOORAY", drove Daichi to places he had never been and eventually he decided that the wisest thing to do would be to visit the witch.

Yokozawa didn't disapprove at all, as a matter of fact he took it upon himself to lead Daichi to the path of the forest which leads to the witches' lair. The walk was longer than Daichi had imagined, but on his way he found a few medical herbs still sprouting under a hollow log. They were tiny and yellowish, but one touch from Daichi brought them back.

After what seemed like hours and a handful of herbs Daichi found himself standing in an opening of a forest, a tiny hut inside of a massive tree was perhaps the most interesting thing he had ever seen. Before he could even walk closer the door opened and a lady walked put cautiously.

"May I help you?", She asked keeping her distance.

"Hi, I'm here to see a witch?" Daichi wasn't sure what to say and the lady didn't seem all that impressed either.

"Why?", she asked looking at Daichi. She relaxed once she saw that he was wearing a coat that was clearly made by Yokozawa.

"Sorry, I'm a traveller. I wanted to find out more about what happened and perhaps help... I'm sorry if I am being rude...", a wave of relief washed over him as the lady smiled and gestured him to follow.

The inside of the hut smelled like moss, fresh moss. Oh, that earthy smell mixed with a warm atmosphere. He felt almost at home... the lady called him to yet another room and then Daichi saw her.

The witch.

As surprised as he was, she was even more surprised. The moment Daichi walked in her hyacinth regained color and her petunias started growing once again. She scrambled out of her bed, but was stopped by the lady. Out of pure respect Daichi walked closer to her and kneeled down.

"Sorry to intrude", he apologized.

He felt her hand on his head, she was overflowing with power. "Boy, oh goodness gracious, the merciful Gods must have sent you down here"

"Oh, please, I'm just a traveller"

"You're oozing with life and warmth, oh finally the world can rest"

She smiled brightly, but the smile was followed by a wince as she tried to stand up. Daichi took out his homemade herb solution asking if he could help. The pain washes away almost instantly and the witch knew - he was the one.

"So.. I'm here to learn more about the curse", Daichi said.

"Ah, yes. I am Itazurana and this is my daughter Junsuina." Rana pointed at the kind lady next to Daichi. "I'm surprised the people haven't come after us after what I have done..."

"Everyone in town understands, they're not mad" Daichi reassured Rana.

"The curse... oh it's powerful alright..." Rana shivered at the thought of her power during that moment. "There is a way to get rid of it, but I thought no one could do it... but then you appeared"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, you see, I cursed the land and I cursed the prince. The curse is that the prince will never fall in love with anyone in this world. Anyone! He will die alone with no heirs  and so will end this dynasty. Since that day the prince became cold and ruthless. I'm sure you've seen it. He hates everyone he comes across and can only tolerate his servants. He hates his own father and mother..."

"Continue..", Daichi reached peak interest.

"I know you're not from here, boy" Rana smiled at Daichi. "You are oozing with otherworldly magic"

"Uh..." Daichi wasn't sure what to even say, she wasn't wrong but how did she know?

"Please, for the sake of everyone, please befriend the prince. Once his cold heart warms up, the strings which bind the curse will appear and they need to be cut off" Rana placed her hand on Daichi's face, pleading him for help.

"Befriend him, huh..." Daichi sighed.

"Make his heart beat again" Junsuina chimed in.

Daichi nodded in agreement. If befriending the prince meant that the world could be restored to it's natural place then so be it. The witch and her daughter gifted Daichi with many herbs and tools and wished him the best luck on his journey. Itazurana even went as far and giving her lucky medallion to him.

What she failed to mention, and on purpose, was that the prince needed to fall in love not just become friends, but she could feel it - Daichi's victory and a peaceful life ahead. She waved Daichi goodbye and lay down in her bed.

The moonlight that night illuminated her old face, showing off her wrinkles and tiny scars. A smile on her face was as peaceful as it could be, finally, after all these years. Just like that she took one more breath, a breath of calmness and happiness. The warmth and the smell of the hyacinth... everything was going to be okay now.

Itazurana, with a peaceful mind, returned back to nature, giving her essence of life to the surrounding plants...

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
..

I stg I've been so busy writing other fics that I forgot to update this one uhgggggggggggghhhhhgghhhhh

Anyway hope you enjoyed!

Hatari