▪️rabbit hunt▪️

"A surprise for sure, but a welcome one," Sugawara said as Daichi seemingly appeared in front of him. The servants kept their head low, afraid of the punishment Sugawara would bring for letting someone in without his approval.

"I decided to take up your offer and visit again" Daichi spoke in a respectful manner, he held a gift he had brought - the finest baked goods he could find. To everyone's surprise, Sugawara took it from his hands and stared at it lovingly before telling Daichi to follow him. "I hope I didn't interrupt your plans if you wish I can leave immediately"

"Oh, no! It's delightful to have you here. I was even considering going to town again and finding you. I do have some plans today, however, you need not worry", Sugawara handed the baked goods to a servant near the kitchen and turned to Daichi, examining the way he looked like. Truly, he was different, he had a mysterious and fresh, and lively atmosphere around him, even Sugawara acknowledged that. He was dressed, as usual, in homemade clothes - and for some unknown reason, the prince wished to pamper him with gifts.

 "I would hate to be a bother...", Daichi was still wary of the prince, Yokozawa was very adamant about Daichi going to his place yet again, but Daichi reassured him that Sugawara poses no threat to him at the moment. "This place seems rather empty..."

"You won't bother me. I have a meeting to attend, so feel free to explore the castle in the meantime," Sugawara stopped in his tracks, he sighed before turning to Daichi again. "There is an event going on today, I would love for you to come"

Daichi couldn't help, but remember the way Sugawara's eyes gleamed with amber color before. His eyes now seemed so gray and empty, they had no depth to them, just plain ol' grey. "What event?", Daichi asked as he continued looking around. The whole place was so cold, so empty, so unwelcoming - not a plant in sight, not a person smiling - it was dull.

"I am going on a small rabbit hunt, just to pass some time, at this point of the year they are the biggest, so I would love to catch a few", Sugawara said, he reached out and took Daichi's hand, staggering at the amount of sheer warmth, his pale hands just for a moment regained color, just for a moment he could see the world in a different light. "...Where do you come from, I wonder"

"I can only ask the same thing", Daichi chuckled and gripped Sugawara's hand tighter, once again bringing warmth into the ice-cold palace. "Let's focus on the present though, I would hate to hold you up, so please, go ahead and attend the meetings you need. I would love to join you on the hunt later"

Sugawara couldn't control his facial muscles, they moved on its own for once and formed a smile on his face, a small one, but significant enough for the servants to notice. "Okay, I shall go. Make yourself at home", with these words Sugawara began walking off, his hand lingering in Daichi's just for a moment. He didn't want to let go of that warmth that radiated through his body.

Daichi stood in his place for a second, he watched as Sugawara marched off - he looked back a few times as if to make sure that Daichi is still there. At first, Daichi came only with intentions of befriending him, more specifically, making Sugawara think he is his friend, but now - after seeing his small smile - Daichi wants to find out more about the prince. It is hard to forgive someone who has treated his people like trash, but as minutes passed Daichi realized that it's the curse talking, not the real Sugawara.

Suddenly Daichi felt a light tap on his shoulder, it startled him and he turned around instantly. His eyes met those of the servants, they all looked desperate. "Can I help you?", Daichi asked.

"You're here to help us, right?", one of them spoke with a trembling voice, she reached out to Daichi until she placed her hand on his shoulder. Like a shockwave, warmth shook the castle grounds. "You are special, we can see how much Sugawara-sama changes around you", she followed up.