~~Chapter 6~~

I followed Firepaw outside of camp after he was sent on his mission. I stalked after him, makind sure to stay downwind.

Firepaw reached the dry bed of a stream and I crept up and stay a ways away. 

I started rustling the ferns to scare away any nearby prey. I then started creeping forward making as much noise as possible so he can think I'm big.

I see a twig and step on it to make a loud crack.

I slowly creep out of the ferns.

Then I hear an angry battle cry and feel a heavy weight on my shoulders. I jump up, taking my attacker with me.

I roll over onto the other cat until I hear it yowl, "Moonpaw! Its me!"

I jump away and look at him. "I knew it was you you scaredy mouse! You pounced on me like a kit!" I say teasingly while lapping at my sore shoulders.

"Sorry," Firepaw mumbled. "But what was I supposed to think, with you creeping up on me like that?"

"Creeping up!" my eyes were round with indignation. "That was my best stealth crouch."

"Stealth! You still stalk like a lopsided badger!" he teased while he flattened his ears playfully.

I gave a hiss of delight. "I'll show you lopsided!"

We leaped at each other and began rolling over and over in a play-fight. Firepaw swiped at me with a hefty paw and the my head buzzed with stars.

"Uufff-ff!" I shook my head to clear it and then launched a counterattack.

I managed to get in a couple of paw strikes before Firepaw overpowered me and held me down. I let my body go limp.

"You give up too easily!" mewed Firepaw, loosening his grip. As he did so, I sprang to my feet, firing Firepaw off my back and into the undergrowth.

I leaped after him and pinned him to the ground. "'Surprise is the warrior's greatest weapon,'" I crowed, quoting one of Lionheart's favorite phrases. I jumped nimbly off Firepaw and began to squirm around in the leaf litter, enjoying my easy victory and the warmth of the earth against my back.

Firepaw seemed unbothered by his defeat of the morning. It was too fine a day for bad temper. "So how're you getting on with your task?" I asked.

He sat up. "I was doing just fine till you came along! I was about to catch a vole when your noisy trampling frightened it off."

"Oh, sorry," I mewed.

Firepaw looked at me. "That's okay. You didn't know," he purred. "Anyway," he continued, "shouldn't you be heading to meet the patrol on the WindClan border? I thought you had to give them a message from Bluestar."

"Yeah, but there's plenty of time. I was going to do a little hunting first. I'm starving!"

"Me too. But I've got to hunt for the Clan before I can hunt for myself."

"I bet Dustpaw and Sandpaw used to swallow a shrew or two when they were on hunting duty," I snorted.

"I wouldn't be surprised if they did, but this is my first solo assignment. . . . "

"And you want to do it right; I know." I sighed.

"What is the message from Bluestar, anyway?" Firepaw asked, changing the subject.

"She wants the patrol to wait at the Great Sycamore until she joins them at sunhigh. Seems that some ShadowClan cats have been prowling around. Bluestar wants to check things out."