~~Chapter 18~~

Graypaw, Firepaw and Ravenpaw were still patching the hole when I reached them. They had left a gap just wide enough for me to squeeze back through.

"No luck with the garlic," I panted as I slipped in. "Darkstripe's prowling around out there."

"Never mind," mewed Graypaw. "We can get some tomorrow."

"I'll go and get you some poppy from Spottedleaf," I offered. I was worried by the dull look in my friend's eyes, and the way his muscles seemed stiff with pain.

"No, don't worry," mewed Graypaw. "I'll be fine."

"It's no trouble," I insisted, and before Graypaw could argue, I bounded off toward Spottedleaf's den.

She was pacing her small clearing, her eyes clouded with unhappiness.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"The spirits of StarClan are restless. I think they are trying to tell me something," she replied, flicking her tail uneasily. "What can I do for you?"

"I think Graypaw could do with some poppy seeds for his leg," I explained. "His rat bites are still hurting him."

"The pain of losing Lionheart will make his injuries feel worse. But he'll mend in time; don't worry. In the meantime, you're right, poppy seeds will help." Spottedleaf went into her den and brought out a dried poppy head. She placed it carefully on the ground. "Just shake out one or two and give them to him," she meowed.

"Thanks," I mewed. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"Go and see to your friend," answered Spottedleaf, avoiding my gaze.

I picked up the poppy head between my teeth and began to walk away.

"Wait," Spottedleaf hissed suddenly.

I spun around expectantly and met her tawny gaze. Her eyes burned back at me.

"Moonpaw, share this with Firepaw," she hissed. "StarClan spoke to me moons ago, before you two joined the Clan. I sense they want me to tell you this now. They said only fire under the moon can save our Clan."

I stared at Spottedleaf, mystified.

The strange passion faded from her eyes. "Take care, Moonpaw," she meowed in her normal voice, and turned away.

"See you," I replied uncertainly. I padded back through the fern tunnel. Her strange words were echoing in my mind, but I could not make sense of them. Why had she shared them with me? Surely fire was an enemy to all who lived in the forest, especially at night. I shook my head in frustration, and bounded over to the apprentices' den.

"Firepaw, can I... talk to you?" I look at him with urgency in my gaze.

"Uh.. yeah, sure."

We pad over to a secluded area of the camp and I round on him and hiss close to his face, "Spottedleaf just said the craziest thing to me and I can't make sense of it. She told me to share it with you and told me that Starclan wanted her to tell us now."

"Well, what did she say, mousebrain!" 

"She said 'only fire under the moon may save our clan.' What do you think?"

We sat in silence as we both thought about it, then we locked eyes, confused.

"I can't think of anything, Moonpaw. If it's from Starclan, they must have a reason for telling us now.." Firepaw murmured.

"I don't know, Firepaw.. Something just doesn't feel right about this.."

"Well I know one thing. If I don't go to sleep I'll be grumpier than a hungry badger!" Firepaw laughed, trying to lighten the mood.