~~Chapter 17~~

"Are you telling Moonpaw how I protected Redtail?"

I felt a cold shiver ruffle the fur on the back of my neck.

Ravenpaw whipped around, eyes wide with fear. Tigerclaw loomed over us, his lips drawn back in a menacing snarl.

I jumped up and faced the new deputy. "He was just saying he wished you had been here to take care of Lionheart as well, that's all!" I mewed, thinking quickly.

Tigerclaw looked from me to Ravenpaw, then stalked away in silence. Ravenpaw's green eyes clouded with terror, and he started to tremble uncontrollably.

"Ravenpaw?" I meowed in alarm.

But Ravenpaw didn't even look up at me. With his head held low, he slunk back to Graypaw and crouched next to him, pressing his skinny black body next to Graypaw's thick fur as if he was suddenly cold.

I looked helplessly at my two friends as they huddled beside Lionheart's body. Not knowing what else to do, I padded over and settled himself beside them, ready to sit out the night. Firepaw then came over and settled next to us.

As the moon passed overhead, other cats came to join their vigil. Bluestar arrived last, once the camp was calm and quiet. She said nothing, but sat a little way off, gazing at her dead deputy with an expression of such unbearable grief that I had to look away.

At dawn, a group of elders came to take Lionheart's body away to the burial place. Graypaw followed to help dig the hole where the great warrior would rest.

I yawned and stretched. I felt chilled to the bone. Leaf-fall was nearly here now, and the woods were clouded with mist, but above the leaves I saw a rosy morning sky. I watched Graypaw disappear into the dew-soaked undergrowth with the elders.

Ravenpaw jumped to his paws and hurried back to the apprentices' den. Firepaw followed him slowly. I followed last, and by the time I arrived, the black cat was curled up with his nose tucked under his tail, as if asleep and Firepaw had sat down and finished up grooming.

I was too exhausted to speak. I circled around on my mossy bed and then settled down for a long sleep.

~.~

"Wake up!"

I heard Dustpaw's voice calling through the den entrance. I opened my eyes. Ravenpaw was already awake, sitting bolt upright with his ears pricked. Graypaw and Firepaw were stirring beside me. I was surprised to see the familiar gray shape. I hadn't heard him come back after burying Lionheart.

"Bluestar's called another meeting," Dustpaw hissed at them, and ducked out of the ferns.

The four of us crawled out of the warm den. The sun was already past its height, and the air felt cooler than before. I shivered, and my belly growled. I couldn't remember the last time I had eaten, and I wondered briefly if I would have a chance to hunt today.

Firepaw, Graypaw, Ravenpaw and I hurried to join the crowd gathered below the Highrock.

Tigerclaw was speaking from his position beside Bluestar. "During the battle, our leader lost another life. Now that she has only four of her nine lives left, I am going to appoint a bodyguard to stay at her side constantly. No cat will be allowed to approach her unless the guards are present." His amber eyes flicked to Ravenpaw and then back to the rest of the crowd. "Darkstripe and Longtail," he continued, turning his gaze on the warriors, "you will act as Bluestar's guards."

Darkstripe and Longtail nodded importantly, and sat taller.

Bluestar now spoke. Her voice sounded gentle and calming after her deputy's commanding yowl. "Thank you, Tigerclaw, for your loyalty. But the Clan must understand that I am still here for them. No cat should hesitate to approach me, and I am happy to speak to anyone with or without my bodyguards." Her eyes darted briefly in Tigerclaw's direction. "As the warrior code says, the safety of the Clan is more important than the security of any single member." She paused, and her sky-blue gaze rested briefly on Firepaw and I. "And now, I wish to invite Yellowfang to join ThunderClan."