~~Chapter 15~~

We headed back the way we had come. The moon had disappeared behind a bank of clouds. It was dark, but at least the Thunderpath was quieter now. The only monster we heard was far off in the distance. We crossed the path together and pushed their way through the hedge on the other side.

I could feel my muscles growing stiff with tiredness as we hurried on. Bluestar kept up a swift pace with her nose thrust forward and her tail high. Tigerclaw loped beside her. I followed a few paces behind with Graypaw and Firepaw, but Ravenpaw was flagging.

"Keep up, Ravenpaw!" Tigerclaw growled over his shoulder.

Ravenpaw flinched and bounded forward until he caught up with Firepaw, Graypaw and I.

"Are you okay?" Firepaw asked.

"Yes," Ravenpaw panted, not meeting Firepaw's eyes. "Just a bit tired."

We scrambled down a deep ditch and up the other side.

"What did Tigerclaw say when he came out of the cave?" I meowed, trying not to sound too curious.

"He wanted to check that we were still guarding the entrance," replied Graypaw. "Why?"

I hesitated. "Did you scent anything strange about him?" I asked.

"Only that damp old cave," Graypaw mewed, looking surprised.

"He seemed a little edgy," ventured Ravenpaw.

"He wasn't the only one!" Graypaw meowed, looking at the black cat.

"What do you mean?" asked Ravenpaw.

"Just that the fur on your neck stands up whenever you see him these days," whispered Graypaw. "You nearly jumped out of your skin when he came out of the cave."

"He just surprised me, that's all," Ravenpaw protested. "You have to admit, it was a bit creepy by Mothermouth."

"I suppose so," agreed Graypaw.

We slipped under a hedge into a cornfield that glowed silver in the moonlight, and followed the ditch that ran around its edge.

"So what was it like inside?" Graypaw demanded. "Did you see the Moonstone?"

"Yes, we did. It was amazing!" I felt my fur tingle at the memory.

Graypaw shot Firepaw and I an admiring glance. "So it's true! The rock really does shine underground."

I didn't reply. I closed my eyes for a moment, savoring the image of the Moonstone that dazzled my mind. Then pictures from my dream crowded into my head, and my eyes shot open. Bluestar was right: we had to get back to camp as quickly as we could.

Ahead, Tigerclaw and Bluestar had leaped through a fence, out of the cornfield. We followed, squeezing under the fence, onto an earth track. It was the path that led past the Twoleg nest and the dogs. I looked up and saw Bluestar and Tigerclaw trotting tirelessly together, silhouetted against a skyline tinged with red. The sun would be rising soon.

"Look!" Firepaw called to Graypaw, Ravenpaw and I. An unfamiliar cat had jumped out in front of the two warriors.

"It's a loner!" hissed Graypaw. The four of us hurried forward.

The stranger was a stout black-and-white tom, shorter than the warriors, but well muscled.

"This is Barley," Bluestar explained to us as we caught up. "He lives near this Twoleg nest."

"Hi!" meowed the cat. "I haven't seen any of your Clan for some moons. How are you, Bluestar?"

"I'm well, thank you," replied Bluestar. "And you, Barley? How's the prey been running since we last passed this way?"