→ five | benign

five | "i miss everybody."

       HAYDEN SAT INSIDE HER DORM

HAYDEN SAT INSIDE HER DORM. Her head was buried inside one of the books she took from the Auradon library (she rented it this time, she didn't want Fairy Godmother on her ass again for stealing a book). She sat on the little reading nook in their dorm, grateful for its existence while she gazed out of the window peacefully. She had a lot on her mind, which made drowning out the loud chatter from Mal and Evie a lot easier.

"Always use upward strokes," she could hear Evie say to Mal. Her tone was excited, like this was the first time she was allowed to do Mal's make-up, which Hayden figured, was probably true.

The purple haired girl adjusted her leather jacket while she looked at herself in the mirror. "My mom was never really big on make-up tips. I never had a sister I could get along with." Mal mumbled under her breath, her eyes briefly glancing at Hayden.

Evie smiled happily and grabbed Mal's shoulders. "Well, now you do." She said happily and gave her a smile through the mirror. "We're going to need all the family we can get if we don't pull this off. My mother's not a barrel of laughs when she doesn't get her way. Just ask Snow White."

Hayden softly closed her book at the mention of Evie's mother. They never talked about these kind of things with her, and she had to admit, she was quite curios about it. She focused her attention back on Evie and Mal, while still gazing out of the window to uphold the fake lack of attention she had for their conversation.

"Are you afraid of her?" Mal asked eventually.

Evie shrugged. "Sometimes." She sighed. "Are you afraid of your mom?"

Mal forgot that Hayden was in the room because of the weight of the questions, and instead of withholding, she carelessly answered the question. "I just really want her to be proud of me. She gets so angry with me when I disappoint her." She sighed and Hayden frowned after hearing the girl's sad voice. "And she, yeah, she's my mom, so I know she loves me....in her own way."

Evie hummed at her sadly. She grabbed another make-up brush and brought it to Mal's face. She took a deep breath. "What about you, Hayden?" She asked out loud, and Mal visibly froze. "Are you scared of your father?"

"Me?" Hayden asked, pointing at herself. "No, no, not at all. My dad and I are really close. He knows I love him, I know he loves me..." She trailed off and shrugged. "That's about it."

Mal scoffed and Hayden saw her unclench her fists, only for her to clench them again. "I'm sorry." Hayden spoke up, trying to hide the anger bubbling up inside of her. "Do you want to say something?"

"We get it, you've got a great father who just adores you, no need to rub it in, Hayden. We get it." Mal scoffed again, seemingly more irritated and angrier than she was before.