Chapter Eight: A New Duo

"Are you sure?" Mrs. (L/N) is sitting across from Joyce at the Byer's kitchen table. Joyce is a frazzled mess. This panic spreads to (Y/N)'s mother.
"Yes, it was her. (Y/N) and Will," Joyce has her hands interlaced in her hair. Her eyes are desperate for someone who believes her. Hopper sure hadn't.
Joyce has told (Y/N)'s mother about what had happened. The phone call. She explained everything from the busted telephone to the terrified children and the strange growl. Joyce had also told her about Hopper's careless reaction.
Mrs. (L/N) has no idea how to react to this information. She's aware of the rumors surrounding Joyce Byers, such as her being a so called kook who can't take care of her children. Mrs. (L/N) cares about her outward appearance and reputation, so she hasn't chosen to hang around with Joyce, however, she doesn't really believe in the rumors herself. Her daughter has been friends with Will since elementary school, he's a great kid and has been raised well. But, this story seems so surreal. Could Joyce really be telling the truth?
"Please, you have to believe me," Joyce is pleading, desperation can be detected in her body language. "No one else does! And your daughter, she's...she's in danger! Please!"
"Joyce, I," Now it's Mrs. (L/N)'s turn to plunge her hands into her hair. She sighs and neatly presses the hair back into place due to her sense of professionalism. "I don't know what to believe. It sounds--"
"Crazy! I know! It sounds crazy!" Joyce is frantic now, her eyes bulging out of their purple-tinted sockets. Mrs. (L/N) draws back a little in her chair. A speck of fear ignites inside of her. What is this woman capable of? "I sound crazy! I look crazy! Maybe, I am crazy!"
"Joyce..." (Y/N)'s mother doesn't want to have offended Joyce. They need to be on the same side in this situation.
"No, I know. I know," Joyce takes a shaky breath, understanding that she needs to seem calm and in the right state of mind to get her point across. "Just give me a chance, please," Joyce clasps her hand together. In this moment, she would have taken a long drag from her cigarette, however, she doesn't want to make Mrs. (L/N) feel uncomfortable. Joyce knows that the woman has a different lifestyle and smoking definitely isn't included in it.
(Y/N)'s mother knows that this story sounds bizarre. But, where's the harm in believing in it? Even if it is just for a little bit. If this can possibly be a lead in finding her daughter, Mrs. (L/N) sure as h*ll is going to try and consider this story to be true.
"Okay," (Y/N)'s mother puts her hands up, as to surrender, "Okay, yeah, I'll believe you," Joyce's face lights up and she gives a chuckle of relief.
"Thank you! Thank you!" She takes ahold of Mrs. (L/N)'s hands and smiles, "I promise, I'll prove it to you," (Y/N)'s mother smiles back and nods.
"So, where do we begin?"

♥︎

(Y/N) and Will decided it'd be a good idea to have shifts taking watch while the other sleeps. Will offered to let (Y/N) rest first, he knew that would be the polite thing to do. Her eyelids seemed to be weighted and she was a bit fatigued. After a lot of reassurance that he was okay with her resting first, she looked at Will with a thoughtful stare.
What she really wants is to lay against him. To be near him. Then her mind wanders. That would be weird...wouldn't it? Just doing something like that. Yeah, weird. He probably doesn't want me all over him anyways. But it's cold. Really cold. And because she's found a perfect excuse to do what she's secretly wanted to do, for a long time, (Y/N) gains an overwhelming burst of confidence.
She scoots closer to Will so that she's sitting directly next to him. She looks straight into his eyes. The stare they hold is sweet; innocent. Will is propped up against the wall and sits vertically across the comforter. (Y/N) adjusts herself so that she is leaning comfortably against Will's chest, she can feel his breath hitch. (Y/N) starts to get up as she thinks she's startled him. Will takes hold of her arm and gently guides her back to his chest. "No, you're alright," he assures his skittish friend.
(Y/N) now decides to use her excuse, to make her action seemed justified, even though Will doesn't mind. Truthfully, he actually enjoys it. "It's cold," she says softly.
"Mmhmm," Will hums, absentmindedly accepting what she's said. He determines that this also gives him an excuse to embrace her. He slowly moves his left arm around (Y/N)'s upper arm and lets his hand fall into her lap.
A small smile sprouts from (Y/N)'s chapped lips. Glee builds up inside of her and rushes through her veins. A feeling of belonging and protection surrounds her. She feels like she has someone. She actually has someone who is okay with her existence. How cool is that?
(Y/N) slowly drifts off. The constant fear of being attacked lingers in her mind and scares her awake once she's on the edge of tranquility. But, eventually, her breaths become longer and more relaxed. She's asleep.
Will stares down at her. She's beautiful. A unique beautiful. He's never met anyone like her, and that's what makes her so special. He knows that he likes her. He likes her a lot.
Will alters the position of his head and cranes his neck awkwardly. He leans down and kisses (Y/N)'s forehead. An innocent kiss. One he had learned from his mother when she was home to kiss him goodnight.
The feeling of her skin lingers on his lips. He gives a small giggle of exhilaration. Will's heart is warm and beats quickly, but a good quickly. He gently lays his head against the wall of Castle Byers. His cheek is snug against (Y/N)'s hair. He thinks it smells nice.
Even though Will is supposed to keep watch he can't help but let his exhaustion overcome him. The two children finally seem at peace as they both use each other for warmth and comfort. The atmosphere seems more tranquil and for a single moment the two forgot that their lives are in imminent danger.