Chapter Fourteen: The Alphabet Wall

The two mothers stand, staring at the now completed alphabet wall. (Y/N)'s mother watches Joyce place the paint can down on the coffee table, she feels admiration for the woman. How could she have ever doubted her?
"Okay, baby, talk to me," Joyce stares hopefully at the letters scrolled on the wall. Mrs. (L/N) stops staring at Joyce and directs her attention to the wall. Is this really going to work?

♥︎

Will and (Y/N) had hesitantly crawled out from their hiding place in the crawl space. They now stand on an old, rickety couch, awaiting orders from their parents.
"Okay, baby, talk to me," The two glance at each other, trying to pass messages to one another without speaking, "Talk to me. Where are you?"
Will stands on the left side of the couch. He bends down and touches a blue bulb above the letter "R." (Y/N) isn't quite sure what he's trying to spell out so she keeps observing.
"'R.' Good, good, good, good," Joyce praises, trying to get more out of the two children.
Will lifts his hand from the bulb and searches for his next letter. "That's good. Come on, come on," Joyce urges. Will, no longer hunched over, taps the blue bulb above the letter "I." (Y/N) catches on quickly to what Will is spelling out and jumps upwards to touch the red bulb above the letter "G." It illuminates, but only for a second. She uses her right hand to tap the blue bulb above the "H" bouncing up once again. Will positions himself down near the "T" and grabs the orange bulb.
(Y/N) huffs as she, once again, hops up to tap the "H." Both children whisper each letter under their breath, making sure to tap each bulb carefully and precisely as to not send the wrong message. (Y/N) jumps and touches the blue bulb above the "E." The couch makes an awful noise, it's so worn out that it cannot take the pressure of the two small children. They're put off by the sound for a millisecond, but they know that they cannot waste time.
Will taps the blue bulb belonging to the "R" and (Y/N) finishes off the short word by touching the blue bulb hanging above the "E."

♥︎

Joyce had read each letter aloud, making sure to remember each one. "Right here," both mothers simultaneously repeat the message.
"Right here?" Mrs. (L/N) asks. They can't be. Unless they're invisible? No, that can't be it.
"I don't know what that means," Joyce stammers, "I need you to tell me what to do. What should I do?"

♥︎

Joyce continues to murmur with confusion. However, the children stop listening. They are frozen completely still. Somehow, some way, the vicious predator had silently stalked into the "Byers'" house. The children hadn't noticed the monster until it started to release the horrible, crackly growl that it seemed to produce often. But, to their advantage, the monster didn't seem to be very interested in them this time.
It stares straight into the wall, cocking it's head to the side like a curious puppy. The two kids stand in fear. Their breath trembles. Their small, clammy hands rest on the slimy wallpaper. As Joyce continues to speak, (Y/N) and Will realize that the monster isn't interested in them because it's found two bigger prey.
Will, with his eyes still glued to the gigantic beast, moves his hand to the bulb above the letter "R." Then another bulb above the "U." (Y/N) sees what Will's doing and wants to help. They both reach for the red bulb belonging to the "N" and Will's hand lands on top of (Y/N)'s, temporarily startling the two.
Will decides it's safest for them to hide. He takes (Y/N)'s hand and yanks her towards the crawl space. They rush inside and close the hatch.

♥︎

Before Joyce and Mrs. (L/N) can analyze the children's last message, they hear an odd, cracking sound coming from behind them. The strands off lights start to blink wildly. Both mothers turn to see Joyce's wallpaper stretching at abnormal lengths, a large figure trying to rip through from to other side.
The women's faces twist into horrified expressions, mouths agape and eyes nearly popping out of their heads. Mrs. (L/N) whimpers as she puts her hand over her mouth, Joyce gasps.
The paper keeps stretching like it's some sort of putty. The figure becomes clearer. A pale, grey, long-fingered hand finally tears through the paper and uses the solid wall as a crutch to pull its entire body through the wallpaper. Right as it whips it's faceless head towards the women, the two scamper off towards the door, trying to escape the hungry beast as quickly as possible. 
They exit the home and run frantically down the dark road. The women's hearts pound, their shoes scrape against the pavement. Both cannot believe their eyes. They are completely stunned.
That is until a car heads straight for the two, the headlights nearly blinding them. Joyce shrieks and holds up her hands, the car comes to a stop. "Mom?" Jonathan asks from the driver's side window. He notices the mortified expressions both women hold and he exits the vehicle, "Mom what happened?" Worry is evident in his voice.
Joyce's arms extend, she cannot speak but wants him to know that she needs to be comforted. He rushes over and quickly pulls his mother into an embrace, "It's okay," Joyce sobs into Jonathan's jacket as he reassures the startled woman. Mrs. (L/N) falls to the ground in a crouching position. She cries into her hands.
Mr. (L/N) watches confusedly from his car which is parked in the woods in front of the Byers' house. What the h*ll got them so scared? He too is unnerved by the sight of the startled women, but he writes it off as Byers being a crazy woman and his wife rebelling and hanging around with the wrong crowd. However, deep down, he knows that it has to do with something else. He wants desperately to go out there and bring his wife back to safety, but stays out of sight because the Byers boy may try and fight him. He can't take another blow to his ego. (Y/N)'s father pulls out a flask, to numb the fearful thoughts, and waits, he'll retrieve his wife when the time is right.

♥︎

While (Y/N) and Will hide and their mothers remain stunned by a new discovery, the party and their new telekinetic friend watch as two familiar bodies are pulled from Sattler Quarry. "It's not them it can't be," Their two best friends.
"It's (Y/N) and Will. It's really them," Dead.

__________________________________
Hi friends! I hope this chapter gave you something to read during these tough times. I hope you're all doing well and are all healthy. Your votes and reads mean so much to me, thank you so much!
I've decided I want to share a writing tip with you because this is a little mistake that when fixed can really improve a story. Just last year, I learned that it's important to create a new paragraph every time a new person speaks. If you want an example just look at the end of this chapter. Mike speaks, then when Lucas speaks a new paragraph is created. I hope this helps! Stay safe♡︎ ~WoodCeiling

*THE CHARACTERS, THEME, AND SOME DIALOGUE BELONG TO STRANGER THINGS AND THE DUFFER BROTHERS*