Chapter Twelve: Desire for Power

Mrs. (L/N) hurriedly strides up to Joyce Byer's door, boxes in hand. She wonders how she's going to reach her arm out to knock. However, Joyce solves her problem by whipping the door wide open, as if she's been avidly waiting for the last hour.
"Hi, I uh-"
"Get in," Joyce grabs Mrs. (L/N) by the arm and yanks her inside the house, nearly toppling the stack of boxes. Upon entering, (Y/N)'s mother observes the house's extreme transformation. Bright, glowing Christmas lights litter every inch of the home's ceiling, which is barely visible through all the string. There's a tranquil sense of beauty to all of the lights, they remind (Y/N)'s mother of colorful stars glittering against an endless, night sky. But, at the same time, they also kinda give her a headache. "I'm guessing you don't need these," Mrs. (L/N) feels as if her three light-filled boxes equal nothing compared to this display. She chuckles, trying to bring some humor into the situation. However, Joyce's face doesn't soften, she seems awfully worried.
Joyce acts as though the hundreds of glittering bulbs above her head are a normal occurrence. "Sit," Joyce takes Mrs. (L/N) by the forearm and sits her down on the old, beat up couch. Now (Y/N)'s mother is alert. She knows that something must be wrong, Joyce's tone conveys this message.
"Karen Wheeler came over while you were gone," Joyce slowly starts to explain what had caused her current anxiety, "She came to give me company, she made a casserole," Joyce shakes her head, "That's not important," (Y/N)'s mother listens attentively. "Holly Wheeler went off and...And," Joyce pauses to recollect her thoughts and retrieve the memory, "She went into Will's room...She saw something in the wall too," Joyce looks up to examine the woman's expression. It's the same as she had expected it to be. It's an expression of shock.
Mrs. (L/N)'s shock is born from the fact that the monster she saw was real. Monsters can't be real. Monsters are from fairytales. Yet, she saw one with her very eyes. But, then again how could she trust a child? How could she trust anything anymore? Their children are talking through lights for God's sake!
However, the shock isn't only born because of the actuality of a monster, but because deep down Mrs. (L/N) has realized that the two women aren't crazy. She had been worried that her and Joyce were going insane with grief, but this sighting has proven otherwise. Mrs. (L/N) cannot decide whether her being crazy or monsters actually existing are scarier. Sure, there are people who act like monsters, but actually seeing one...that's on another level. She isn't sure why, but it is.
"Wow," That's all (Y/N)'s mother can manage to get out of her dry throat. Her thoughts are racing in a million different directions. Joyce nods and finally, she reveals the tiniest smile. Mrs. (L/N) notices this and all of her attention is immediately focused back on the woman. Joyce looks up at the lights dangling above her head.
"They're out there. They really are," Joyce looks back to (Y/N)'s mother, "I can feel it," The miniscule smile is returned by Mrs. (L/N) and the two wait silently on the old, brown couch, expecting another clue in this large mystery which is starting to unravel.

♥︎

(Y/N) and Will had fallen asleep, into the deepest sleep they could muster. Their bodies could no longer handle this alternate world. Everything was too much. The strenuous physical activity, the toxic atmosphere, the monster, and so much more. The poor things are tired beyond comprehensibility. On a normal day, sleeping on this bed would have been one of the most repulsive things that the children could have ever thought of doing. It's coated with a thick layer of slime, the sheets, blankets, and pillowcases are stained, and the frame has rotted almost to the point of not being able to hold the mattress. But, it's different now. This bed was their saving grace.
The two slept quietly even when the large, wrinkled monster approached the house. They were completely unconscious as it took long, patient strides into "Will's" home and down the hallway. The Demogorgan can always eat, but it wasn't currently famished. The monster had just eaten. It crawled to the "Will's" room and slightly perched itself up on its hind legs. It sniffed the air. Then, the monster gurgled with curiosity and cocked it's egregious head to the side.
The Demogorgon could've eaten both children right then and there. But, the curiosity grew too large for the monster to resist. It sensed something in the other world. Something filled with so much magic and wonder. So, the Demogorgon completely disregarded the two defenseless sleeping children and steadily crept towards the wall, the wall which the bed's headrest rested upon.
The monster now, just a few feet away from the children, could feel this magic even more than it had before. And it wanted it.
The Demogorgan seemed to double— no triple in size. It rose up to the ceiling. It anticipated owning this surge of power. The monster leaned it's gargantuan body forwards and reached into the wall. It's claws ripped away at the soft wood.
Young Holly Wheeler stood on the other side of that wall, silently observing the flashing lights and shifting wallpaper. She found it all very amusing. Joyce Byers did not. She had pulled Holly back from the wall. The girl once again safe and out of the grasp of a merciless beast.
The Demogorgan had drawn back, the magic leaving the air in front of it. Frustrated, the monster crashed it's enormous body through the wall and ran straight through, leaving behind splintered wood and two potential prey.
The monster scampers off, into the darkness. No true motive in it's brain, only instinct and desire.

____________________________________
Hey friends! So, if you weren't already aware, my uploading schedule has changed! For now, I'm giving myself an extra week to write. Things are pretty crazy at the moment and I'm working on many other projects. I just need some room to stretch. I feel that this episode was a bit short and not extremely interesting but don't you worry! It's leading up to the next episode which will be longer and pretty significant! The world is really crazy right now and I just hope that you're all safe and healthy! Stay home and read lots! ~WoodCeiling♥

*THE CHARACTERS, THEME, AND SOME DIALOGUE BELONG TO STRANGER THINGS AND THE DUFFER BROTHERS*