Chapter Eighteen: A Hole In The Wall

Music blares out of the Byers' stereo, "Should I Stay or Should I Go" plays on a loop. "Come on," Joyce pleads to the empty room around her, "Come on! Talk to me!"
"(Y/N)! Will! We're here!" (Y/N)'s mother calls in a softer, more welcoming tone.
"I know you're here!" Joyce paces around the room, grabbing at the dull, unlit lights frustratedly.

♥︎

Will and (Y/N) had crept out of the crawl space and into the perilous world around them. The two had planned to go towards the screaming they had heard earlier, in case there was a way out. However, they hadn't gotten very far into their journey before hearing the familiar song which they both adored playing from back inside of "Will's" house. They both looked wide-eyed at each other before sprinting back through the forest and into the deteriorating house.

♥︎

In the AV Club room, Mike pulls out a chair for Eleven. She sits down in front of the ham radio. The room is dimly lit. "Now what?" Dustin asks.
"She'll find them," Mike is confident, "Right, El?" Mike turns a dial on the radio as Eleven shuts her eyes. She goes deep in thought, channeling older memories to help her create new ones. She's determined to help her friends. She doesn't want anyone else to feel trapped as she had a mere week ago.
The radio begins to emit a strange noise. "She's doing it," Mike looks at both of his friends, "She's finding them," He feels triumphant, his stubborn friends will finally believe him! And of course, he's going to get (Y/N) and Will back.
"This is crazy," Dustin is shocked that this supernatural activity is actually happening. It's like something from his comic books.
Lucas still isn't sold, "Calm down. She just closed her eyes," Just as Lucas finishes his skeptical statement, the light above the group goes out. The boys gasp. Now the only light source comes from the small desk lamps illuminating the radio. The light bounces off of Eleven's face and her features are beautifully illuminated. An echoey, pounding sound comes out from the radio. The boys gather tensely around Eleven, the light now shining onto their faces as well.
"What is that?" Dustin asks, shaken. The radio continues to tune itself, trying to hone in on a signal.

♥︎

The song had been amplified in a certain area of the wall. In an act of desperation, (Y/N) and Will had begun to bang on the wall. Trying to get through to the other side.
(Y/N) notices a small tear in the wallpaper, revealing a pinkish, fleshy material. She begins to pull at the small flab of paper and it begins to peel back. Will notices what's going on and helps rip down the paper as well.
When they're finished, a semi-clear layer of stiff goop is exposed. Will reaches his hands out to touch the material expecting it to be squishy. Instead, it's hard like a smooth, slimy rock. He balls his hands into fists and starts to hit the wall, trying to gain attention from the other side. (Y/N) joins him.

♥︎

Joyce turns towards the far wall confused. (Y/N)'s mother hasn't noticed what Joyce has. Joyce turns and hits a button on the boombox, turning it off. She begins to walk over to the wall. "What are you doing?" (Y/N)'s mother asks the woman who seems to be listening in on something.
Joyce shushes Mrs. (L/N). Joyce makes it to the wall and grazes her hands over the wallpaper. A small voice echos from inside the wall, "Mom?"
Mrs. (L/N) raises her eyebrows, "Was that—" Joyce shushes her again.
"Will?" Joyce calls to the wall.

♥︎

"Mom?" Mike, Dustin, and Lucas flinch as they stand around the hamshack.
"No way!" Lucas is beyond shocked.