Chapter Twenty-Four: The Void

The group had split up to perform separate tasks in order to prepare the isolation tank.
Hopper, (Y/N)'s father, and Jonathan get the salt from the school's storeroom, hoping that there isn't going to be any heavy snow the next week. Dustin and Lucas struggle and curse whilst trying to set up an inflatable kiddie pool in the gymnasium. Nancy and Mike gather hoses to fill the pool and simultaneously make conversation about crushes which they both deny having. And Joyce and (Y/N)'s mother sit in a science classroom with Eleven, delicately thanking her for everything she's doing for their families and assuring her that they'll be there for her the whole time while she's in the void.

♥︎

The display which the group has set up looks comically small in the large gymnasium. The kiddie pool is filled with both water and enough salt so that Eleven will float. The walkie-talkie is emitting static. The lights are dimmed. Everything is ready. Eleven takes her socks off and puts on her goggles, the lenses are taped over with duct tape, so that she can really focus on the darkness. She puts her bare feet into the pool one by one. Joyce and Hopper lead her to the middle of the pool. She gently sets herself down into the water, her dress puffs up momentarily as it floats above the water. Eleven positions herself accordingly and begins to float on her back.
Moments after, the lights in the gymnasium flicker. The group looks around startled, but hopeful. This means it's working. Eleven focuses, really focuses. Her mind set on one thing. Barbara Holland.
Eleven opens her eyes. She's surrounded by a familiar darkness. She looks around unsurely, then treads slowly foreword. After making a few paces ahead of her, she looks regrettably to the right. Something has caught her eye. "Barbara?" She asks.
In the gymnasium, Nancy stirs.
After taking a deep breath, Eleven continues. She feels the inky, black water swish below her bare feet. Eleven stares ahead of her, troubled. Something is definitely wrong. Her eyes lay upon the lifeless, mutilated body of Barb Holland, covered in a mucus-like substance, some sort of slug creature protrudes from her mouth. Eleven recoils, terrified.
She begins to breathe heavily. The lights flicker. The group looks worriedly on at Eleven. "Is Barb okay? Is she okay?" Nancy asks the girl, who floats, unresponsive.
The panic has set in for Eleven, no young girl, or grown adult, should ever see what she's just seen. "Gone! Gone!" The girl repeats. Her face scrunches up and she clutches her head, bending over, wanting to be away from that thing. Wanting to be back in the comfort of her blanket fort in Mike's basement.
Eleven mutters the same words to everyone overlooking her, causing Nancy to cover her mouth in horror. Joyce comforts Eleven, trying to get her to calm down. She whispers sweet words to the girl.
In the void, Eleven looks around in anguish. Joyce's words reach her ears, bringing some clarity to her. Her face relaxes slightly and she shuts her eyes once again. Eleven trembles as she opens her eyes. This time, Castle Byers sits in front of her.
"Castle Byers," Eleven whispers. Joyce turns sharply to Jonathan. Eleven makes her way forward to the growth-covered fort, praying that the two children inside didn't meet the same fate as Barbara did.
Eleven slows as she nears the entrance of the structure. She reaches her arm out to pull back the curtain. She does so and ducks inside.
With a worried look, Eleven falls to her knees next to the makeshift bed and calls out softly, "Will? (Y/N)?"
Hearing her son's name, Joyce gasps. (Y/N)'s parents lean in further to examine the girl's expressions closer.
To be honest, Eleven isn't really sure if the two are dead or alive. They lay, huddled together. Will's sheet-white face pokes out over (Y/N)'s head. Eleven can only see half of (Y/N)'s face since she is turned away from Eleven, but the girl looks just as sick. Both are drenched in slime.
"You tell him...tell them we're coming. Mom is coming," Joyce says to the girl, trying to keep her voice from quivering.
"Your moms...they're coming for you," Eleven stutters. She grabs Will's freezing hand and lays another on (Y/N)'s damp shoulder.
In response to this, Will uses all his strength to open his eyes ever so slightly and mutter, "Hurry," (Y/N) just whimpers, trying her best to let whatever had come in contact with them know that she is alive. She's alive, but not for much longer.
Will and (Y/N)'s voices come in through the walkie-talkie. Everyone looks around at each other teary-eyed. They're grateful that the two are still responsive, yet gravely worried by their current condition. Joyce, who's being exceptionally clear-minded for the situation she's currently in, continues to send her messages through Eleven, "Okay. Listen, you tell them to...to stay where they are. We're coming. We're coming, okay? We're coming, honey," Joyce's efforts to hold in her tears prove to be fruitless as she lets out a small cry.
"Just...just hold on a little longer," Eleven instructs the two. She can feel her connection with the two weaken significantly, "Will. (Y/N)," The fort begins to disappear around her and she looks around desperately, wishing it would stay just a bit longer, so that she can know for sure that the two are stable. (Y/N) and Will are swallowed by the darkness, they disappear right through Eleven's hands, "Will? (Y/N)! Will!" The loss of connection brings her to a full on panic. Eleven brings her head to her knees and rocks back and forth, panting and whimpering. Wanting to escape.
In the gym, Eleven abruptly jolts upright, startling the group around her. She rips the goggles off of her head, giving her a clear line of sight. Joyce embraces the terrified girl from behind. Eleven grips onto her arm, searching for any possible comfort. "I've got you. It's okay. I got you. I got you," Joyce reassures the frantic girl. Eleven continues to cry softly.