Chapter 9 - Bad Company

I wandered around the castle. The food at dinner was rich, and my sluggish self was getting tired of all these calories without any exercise.

I missed my uncle's dojo. I missed working out until I wanted to throw up. I missed pushing myself to my limits. I missed my students. Ian was going to have his black belt test at the end of July. He had a habit of dropping his left arm when he kicked, and he was weak in his sidekick. I'd promised I would help him with that. Karen had only been there a few months. She was shy and reserved, but she had become more powerful the more I worked with her. She was most comfortable training with me. What would happen if I wasn't there to train her? Not to mention Sarah. She was twice my age but could beat my ass in every way. Then, after class, she would take me to lunch and listen to me complain about everything from boys to bad kung fu movies.

I missed them. I missed them so much it hurt.

And now there was a possibility I'd never see them again.

"Why the big face?"

I turned around, Tai's beautiful, playful smile behind me.

"I think you mean long face," I corrected.

"Ah, is that the phrase? English idioms are so difficult. Either way, you look sad. What are you thinking about?"

"Home."

"You miss it?"

I nodded.

"Tell me what you miss. Maybe I can help."

He walked with me for a while, as I talked about my uncle's dojo, my classmates in business school, the small cafes and tourist shops in my hometown, the apple orchard festivals, and the long hikes through the mountains. I don't know how long I rattled on for, but he stayed quiet and attentive as I talked.

"Well, if you'd like to hit something, I know someplace," he said.

He took me to another part of the castle, a small bounce in his usually relaxed step. I followed, half out of curiosity, and half because I loved the musk of his cologne.

He brought me to two large, teal doors, then turned to put his index finger to his lips. I smiled. Everything was a secret to Tai.

The difference was, his secrets were fun.

He opened the doors, revealing a massive training room. It was four times the size of my uncle's dojo, with weights, gym equipment, and even a large padded area for sparring. Two men were in the center, fully geared, beating the hell out of one another.

I had never been more excited since I got here.

Tai motioned for me to follow him, and we tip-toed to the side of the room where there were a few chairs for spectators. We sat, watching the men duke it out in the most professional way possible.

"Bring your shoulders up more," one of them instructed, "and pull your heel up."

The second one did what he was told. He was bouncing a little too much, expending a lot of energy. Regardless, he was fast and calculated in his moves, and he had no problem getting in solid hits against his opponent.

"Better! Keep it going!" the first one said again.

The second fighter only doubled his speed, as if he had a secret reserve hidden in his back pocket. He shot out moves like a machine gun, each one as powerful as the one before. But it was only for a brilliant five seconds. After that, he stepped back, his heavy breathing louder than the first man's voice.

"Easy, Evann. Don't black out again."

I almost jumped from my chair. That was Evann?

He pulled off his headgear, putting his hands on top of his head while he sucked in air. Sweat had matted his hair, and it was dripping down his face like he had been out in the rain. The first man patted him on the shoulder.