Chapter 10 - Sneaking

The first person on my list of people who hated me was Julian. He seemed like the best place to start.

I had to find a piece of his handwriting. If it matched the handwriting on the notes, it was him. So far, I'd only met him in the ballroom for dance lessons. How could I match his handwriting to the notes?

There had to be something in his bedroom.

But how do you get into a prince's bedroom?

In the sort of movies that I liked to watch, the heroine would ninja chop the guards and sneak in undetected, but even I knew those movies were stupid. That would only get me killed or in serious trouble. It wouldn't get me inside.

There was only one thing I could think of.

"Tai," I said, tapping him on the shoulder.

He remained fast asleep on the piano bench. I tapped his shoulder again. He stirred, opening one eye.

"Is it lunchtime?" he asked.

"How do I get into Julian's bedroom?"

He opened both eyes, then crossed them. "Secret rendezvous?"

"Never. He ... stole something from me. I'm just going to go get it."

He chuckled, sitting up and stretching his ribs. "Did he steal your panties, jailbird?"

I was about to punch him for the panties comment but stopped. "Jailbird?" I hope he didn't mean "jailbait".

He yawned. "Isn't that what they call people like you in your country? Someone who doesn't like being caged up?"

"No. A jailbird is someone who's in prison."

"Well, isn't that what you are — in prison?"

I didn't answer.

"Not that I believe Julian stole something from you," he said, "but if I help, what's in it for me?"

I tried to think of anything I would have that Tai would be interested in.

"How about a kiss?" he asked.

I froze. He smiled.

"You're too easy to torture. Hold on."

He pulled out his phone. "Hey, Barns, I'm in bit of mess, can you help me out? I loaned Prince Julian some sheet music and forgot to get it from him, but I'm already at venue and the prince is at a media conference. I'm sending someone to grab it for me. Do you mind letting her into his room?" He looked me over for a moment. "Yeah, she's wearing ripped jeans and hoodie. Real casual kind of gal. She's with me. Go ahead and let her in. I already talked to the prince about it. Thanks."

He hung up, smirking. "You're lucky I like you, jailbird."

"I really appreciate it, Tai."

I stood up to go, but Tai grabbed my hand before I got far.

"I wasn't joking about the kiss, you know."

He stood, stepping in closer to me. I thought about trying that chop to the neck, but I couldn't bring myself to move. He leaned in.

Then he stopped.

"Don't worry," he said, smiling. "I'll collect later."

§

Thanks to Tai, I was able to walk into Julian's bedroom without any problems.

I don't know what I was expecting, but I wasn't expecting the sexy study kind of vibe. The room was huge, a combination of bedroom and study, the furniture dark and elegant, but simple. The wood was complemented by red-and-gold fabrics on the bed, large reading chairs, and heavy curtains. Even though it looked like it was built to shut out the world, it was warm and inviting. Incredible considering how cold Julian was.