letters to the truth

Stella

Dear Hades,

I have been in the Underworld with you for three weeks. It feels as if you have betrayed me, agreeing to let my mother have me for six months of the year.

I am not a thing you can negotiate!

Yet, it is the terms under which I am here. It is not so sinister and black as I imagined. The sunsets are beautiful, the castle magnificent in a way Olympus can never be.

You have not spoken to me since I got here. The girl in the kitchen, Sarah, seems to enjoy you in ways I never thought other than I would. Maybe this is the innocent girl in me speaking, but I do feel a certain attraction towards you.

Unlike every other God, you display a darkness and broodiness I like. It is as if you are actually in possession of feelings. With that said, I do not know. We have spoken so little, yet you have done so much for me.

I wish to give you back something for all your efforts.

Yet, that cannot happen, since we are not talking. I wish this will change soon!

Another thing, I have been thinking, the marriage? Will it last forever and ever? You seem to regard this as different compared to Olympus. Right now I wish to be with you forever, but forever is a long time, when time has no end. Can we please discuss this?

Demeter sent me a letter yesterday. She wishes for me to return as soon as the time is up. She believes you are abusive towards me.

The Gods in Olympus paint you in a light, in which you are abusive, brooding, mean, angry, and always contemplating how to eliminate the other Gods, in order for you to be the supreme leader.

Why are you not defending yourself?

Yours,

Persephone

I was trying to piece together the Hades she got to know. Some of the traits could still be found. It was like he valued his privacy to a certain extent that made it almost impossible to get close to him.

But I understood she didn't want to be negotiated. Despite an overprotective mother, she seemed to have a solid backbone and to know what she wanted and how she wanted it. I was a little impressed.

It surprised me, that the following letter was from Hades.

Persephone,

How else would this work? Zeus would kill me, or cast me into the eternal flames, would I not let you return to your poor mother once in a while. Once you've been here awhile, I believe we can work out a solution which you'll be happy with as well.

I see so much death, that emotions are not lost. I see the side of humanity, which no other God has to deal with. This gives me an insight into human nature, an insight I do not wish to ever lose. I want to be humane, I want to be the me I know and recognize.

And that does not include me being supreme leader. I enjoy being the God of the Underworld. Granted, it took me a while, but I am in a position now which I find preferable.

The Underworld has to be portrayed in a negative manner, that is the only reason I enjoy it so much. Not many people visit me, and I like my solitude.

We can talk, once I have time off. Right now, a natural disaster is shaking the world, causing my workload to grow.

Hades