1 - Welcome to the Spellmans

The wind was howling, dragging Marble's skin to goosebumps. Her feet were feeling like lead, dragging through the soggy coffee colored mud and oozing through the cracks of her old boots.

She growled in annoyance, catching her hair in an elastic. Yet the dark strands still swiveled around her face, ripping loose from her ponytail. The trees bashed against each other, whispering secrets and laughing loudly.

'It's not that funny' Marble yelled, her voice cutting through the thick air. Some of the trees silenced at her words, and she continued on with a frown. "I could actually really use some help?!" her protest wasn't heard, and she bashed away low hanging leaves. She knew she was in no position to talk to any forest spirits at the moment. She had been walking for what felt like ages, and Marble was a witch, so ages meant decades of decades. But that was the point. She was not just walking like a lunatic in the forest for no reason. She was trying to get away from her father. Not just her father, but father Blackwood, The High Priest of the Church Of Night. And sure they'd get in a lot of arguments, like families do sometimes, but this time she had had enough. It wasn't the first time she slammed the front door and stomped from her cold house, but she had no intention of returning this time. He had also, in a sense, thrown her out of the house. The sense being him yelling 'out!' until he had to lean against the wall due to lack of oxygen.

She understood his view a little better than that time he locked her in her room because she didn't want to choose a familiar. Or when he punched the wall because she insisted on going to the movies, instead of preparing for the Academy a whole year before she had to enroll. A ridiculous man, and even worse father. But now she had crossed a line. Not the occasional sneaking out at night or getting a piercing without permission. She had officially, on paper, gotten her surname changed from Blackwood to Blackthorn. She didn't want to grow up and be known as the daughter of the High Priest. It was embarrassing, truly. She didn't just do it to rebel, no she had done that enough times. She did it out of logic. Her bloodline would have an huge impact on her future, no matter what her official surname was, but she could try her best to put it behind her. Not to be defined by ones families past isn't always easy, especially in the tradition of the witches Of Greendale.

Now, Marble was standing at a crossroad. Quite literally. A gravel path, one to the left and one to the right. She chose left. Always left. The devil's hand. Her muddy shoes made creases when she walked, and her toes were seconds away from falling off. One thing the girl kept forgetting, was that actions have consequences. She can't just walk out the door in early November with no where to go or be. To her luck, the crossroad meant a lot more, then she would ever care to have guessed. But symbols are everywhere constantly, right? Now she was standing in front of a house. A tall, dark house, with round windows and old vines snaking around the walls. "Spellman Mortuary" she muttered, looking at the slightly faded sign. A pet cemetery was in front of the house as well. She could already sense it. A house of witches. Her plush lips formed a smirk as she saw the little witch on the very top spire, turning and turning. As she walked up the pumpkin decorated staircase, her boots left dirty footprints, and her breath flew like ghosts around her. Before even having a plan, Marble knocked on the door. For a while, no one answered. Maybe they weren't home. Maybe they weren't the polite kind. But at last, the door knob turned and behind it is revealed a girl. A very pretty girl, and Marble had to clear her throat before speaking. The girl had short blonde hair, round doe like eyes and a warm smile.

"Can I help you?" she asked with a soft voice, tilting her head. Marble looked around first, as if she was confused about whom the girl was speaking to. "Hi. Hello. I'm rather far from home, uh, at the moment, and was wondering if you had a phone I could borrow? I promise i'm not a burglar or anything" she spoke in a quick nervous stream, and the girl in front of her furrowed her brows in an obvious and replied "well of course!" in a way that made Marble feel utterly and totally welcome. She thanked one too many times, and was shown inside.

The house was warm, and it immediately crept into her cold heart, and made it tie itself in a knot. It smelled like herbs and books, and a radio was faintly playing in another room. Of what Marble could see, it looked like a real Witch's house. Dark wood, vintage furniture, and so many rooms that you would for sure get lost in indoor gardens and old family portraits. The girl waved Marble along, and she snapped from her trance. "I'm Sabrina, by the way. Sabrina-"

Marble finished the sentence "Spellman. I saw the sign" she gestured to the front yard. Sabrina was silent, and Marble realized she was waiting for an introduction. "Right, right, I'm Marble Blackw- Blackthorn" dammit. She bit her cheek, tripping over her own tail already. "Blackthorn" Sabrina pondered the name, tasted it for a few seconds. She wanted to ask more questions, the blonde girl, and her politeness and curiosity fought a furious battle, but she stayed silent for now and invited Marble to sit.

Marble pulled out a chair, observing the cozy kitchen. It felt so homey, with the beautiful sage green counters, and black fuming stove. A glass of water swiveled in front of Marble, but she just sat there, biting her lip and folding her hands.

"The phone!" Sabrina said, as they both forgot why she was even in the first place. "The phone, right" Marble chuckled, and they both shook the tension off. As Marble got to the landline phone, she hesitated. She wanted to call her father, but now she wasn't sure.

"Something wrong?" Sabrina cocked an eyebrow, as she saw Marble tighten her grip on the black device. Before she could reply, another figure entered the kitchen. Marble didn't hear what they were saying, because a sharp ringing noise entered her ears, stabbing at her bones with the awful tone. It came out of fear, and Marble felt a dizzy spell wash over her.

She was standing in someones kitchen, with no one to call, and nothing to say, and the twilight was slowly creeping over the town.

"Is this a client?" the person asked, a male clearly. Marble turned her head, to be met by a pretty sight. He took a bite of his apple, eyeing her up and down with a cheeky grin plastered on his face. She looked at Sabrina, that instantly hit her cousin on the arm.

"No. She was far from home, and needed a phone" Sabrina explained.

"And you just let her in?" The guy hissed, but not low enough for Marble not to hear, and the guilt crept up on her red cheeks.

"Do you really think she's gonna murder us, Ambrose?" Sabrina asked loudly, and Ambrose pulled her arm to warn her of her tone.

"It's fine. I don't know who to call anyways" Marble scoffed, and put the phone back with embarrassment. She just had to leave, because the almost idyllic vibe became too overwhelming all at once.

Sabrina wouldn't let it go so easily. When a mystery came her way, no one dared to question if Sabrina would turn a blind eye to it. She never did. "You were about to say another last name. Earlier. Black-something-else" Sabrina asked. She looked to Ambrose, who had no intention of leaving, wanting to watch the story unfold. So Sabrina scoffed and pulled Marble to the hall so they could be alone.

"Are you in trouble?" she asked with a honeydew voice.

Marble gulped. Sabrina was so close, and so worried that it would be impossible to lie to her. "Blackwood. Marble Blackwood" she confessed through gritted teeth, and Sabrina's eyes cleared.

"Are you Faustus' daughter?" she asked, to which Marble nodded regretfully. "I left my house, after I changed my last name to Blackthorn, and as you can guess he was furious. I really don't wanna cause trouble" Marble explained and assured. Sabrina had to take a step back and think. No way she would just let Marble sleep on the streets. She was a witch, and witches are sisters. "You can sleep here tonight"

Now Ambrose peeked from the Kitchen again. "Sorry what?" he asked, taking another bite of his apple. Marble gave Sabrina a pair of honey colored pleading eyes. "Marble needs a place to stay, and she's a coven member."

Sabrina knew not to tell of Marbles father yet. Imagine Zelda finding out. Ambrose took a moment, then shrugged as if he didn't care, and Marble smiled faintly, feeling her own intrusion to be annoying. "Sabrina, it's okay" she assured, and felt the girls name echo in her skull.

"No." The blonde girl replied determined and quickly, pulling Marble up the grand staircase.

"Just for tonight then!"

re-written: 14/10/2020